Installing another hard drive to install windows on to prevent overwriting anything I might hope to salvage and then I would try one of the daya recovery programs out there to see what I could recover. I personally use Easy Recovery Pro for file recovery.
Hope for the best but expect the worst. If the noise you were hearing was a hard drive head your data may be gone unless you send the drive to a data recovery house with the capability to mount your drive platters in another drive unit for recovery.
1. My 40Gb hardisk had 4 partions, C, D, E and F.
2. C contained Operating system Windows XP and other applications.
3. D and E had all working data files saved from time to time.
4. Bcz of windows operating system problem, there was some error causing stop boot.
4. Tried to run setup from CD, in view to format C partition and reinstall operating system
5. It failed, showing message as some of media sectors are not good. Also there been heard humming sound during PC operating conceiving as had might be out of order.
6. As failure to run setup, i attempted to use Repair option appearing while running windows setup.
7. Pressing R, it got next cursor in C:\ and thinking as while using Dos, i used delete command considering that it will delete all on partition C and then later it will be possible to run setup to re-install window.
8. Confirmation was asked before it start deleting and it ws confirmed as ok.
9. After the process completed, cursor appeared in C: but dir/w did not show any file means it did work.
10. Next tried to see other partition as D, E and F as writing D: enter but i was amazed that there was nothing left.
11. Thus all the data on Hardisk was lost
Kindly guide me how to retrieve the lost data as it relates to my working toward study and i m preparing for my final of Engineering expected in Sept. 2007.
(my email: email@example.com)