How To forum

Question

delete read only file

by luvdared / September 8, 2012 3:08 PM PDT

I have tried changing the properties, tried formatting the file won't go away. I'm using win7pro & have used CCleaner. Can any one help? the file is on a USB stick/drive

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: delete read only file
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: delete read only file
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
If you have tried formatting then the
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / September 8, 2012 11:41 PM PDT
In reply to: delete read only file

file must have gone away.

Assuming you did actually format the stick.

Go back and re-format that stick and see if it works this time. ALL the data on the stick will be erased in a format.

Stop using CCleaner

P

Collapse -
I also tried using the format process through Explorer
by luvdared / September 9, 2012 2:13 PM PDT

Mrmacfixit, in reply 1. the file has not gone away
2. 'Assuming' ; the device WILL NOT format
3. can you tell me why, I should 'stop using CCleaner'; Perhaps you would care to share this advice?

Collapse -
CCleaner
by evti87 / September 9, 2012 3:40 PM PDT

I am also curious as to why one should stop using CCleaner.

Also, what does it do when you try and format? Does it give an error?

Collapse -
CCleaner
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / September 9, 2012 10:00 PM PDT

Deletes files that "you no longer need"

Really? This piece of software can decide what files you no longer need, what files your system no longer needs and delete them?

A quick browse of the internet will give you thousands of posts telling how CCleaner "killed", or otherwise maimed, the users computer.

Likewise, a quick search of these forums will show the same thing.

Allowing any "registry cleaner" free rein over your machine is fraught with danger.

If you have a problem, find the cause, not treat the symptoms; which is what CCleaner does

P

Collapse -
Not CCleaner but MacKeeper
by willymac88 / September 11, 2012 6:53 AM PDT
In reply to: CCleaner

I understand about not using ccleaner - how about MacKeeper for Apple desk computer?

Collapse -
Not Applicapple
by TheAncient-24520069619133896315875403311864 / September 11, 2012 9:17 AM PDT

The OP tried to delete a file using a Windows 7 machine. I believe MacKeeper doesn't work too well in that environment.

Collapse -
Malware?
by TheAncient-24520069619133896315875403311864 / September 11, 2012 9:24 AM PDT
Collapse -
Step away from MacKeeper
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / September 11, 2012 10:18 AM PDT

See the post by TheAncient below.

Although OS X does not have a registry as such, MacKeeper is quite capable of deleting files that "you no longer need" and subsequently preventing you from booting your machine.

Onyx or Cocktail should be all you need, and then only sparingly

P

Collapse -
(NT) oops, TheAncient post is above, not below
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / September 11, 2012 10:19 AM PDT
Collapse -
Answer
Flash drive format issue(s)
by pgc3 / September 9, 2012 12:32 AM PDT

Some flash drives have a locking switch as do some storage chips, first thing to check. If this particular FD doesn't have a switch try doing the format from another system (computer) if you haven't already.

Collapse -
NO LUCK: yet
by luvdared / September 9, 2012 2:49 PM PDT

I have tried using a different computer, it still won't format and wouldn't delete nor would it allow removal of attributes.
I have used it and two other sticks i.e. same size same brand and none of them had a locking switch
I used to have a tool (app.) which removed these stubborn RO files I got it via Emule, but somehow I have lost it, the tool/app.
So I'm still stuck with this damned file ahhhhhhhh:(

Collapse -
Answer
You tried formatting.
by Kees_B Forum moderator / September 9, 2012 1:23 AM PDT

Trying is not enough. Doing it is. Why did you only try it and not actually do it?

Kees

Collapse -
If it would format
by luvdared / September 9, 2012 2:20 PM PDT
In reply to: You tried formatting.

If it would format, the file would be deleted; the device will not format not with Explorer nor CCleaner. You are right doing it would be the solution, however; it won't format! BTW with this file on the stick/drive it can't be used i.e. nothing can be written to the drive. If it was only the drive, I wouldn't be so annoyed but it's the principle:- one should be able to remove the damned file. CHEERS

Collapse -
Re: the device will not format.
by Kees_B Forum moderator / September 9, 2012 5:28 PM PDT
In reply to: If it would format

Ok, so you boot into safe mode, go into command prompt and type format e: (or whatever drive letter that stick had, of course). Now either it does, or it gives an error message. What error message does it give?

Kees

Collapse -
Answer
Let's hear more about this USB STICK.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 10, 2012 3:58 AM PDT

At a trade show we handed out sticks with files in ROM. Later our support lines started to get calls about our sticks that folk could not delete files or format.

All that was not funny since we don't make USB STICKS or sell any so the support folk had no answer and folk were calling in for support. Later they came up with some canned reply about the free sticks were not formattable and the files could not be erased.

You can bet a few callers said they would never buy our sticks again. Which was the funny part since the stick was a freebie.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
Utilities
by TheAncient-24520069619133896315875403311864 / September 11, 2012 5:19 AM PDT
Collapse -
Answer
Can't delete a read-only file - try Unlocker?
by rj_at_boronia / September 11, 2012 11:12 AM PDT

I have had similar problems, although normally with files on the h/disk not a USB stick, or sometimes Windows says a file is in use by another program when it isn't. I have found an excellent free program through CNET called "Unlocker". It's got me out of trouble a number of times and I've got a feeling it may help u too. Download it from cnet.com using the Download tab (put Unlocker into the Search box). Ignore Cnet's comment about lack of docum'n - it is obvious even to a dill like me. Just install it. If a problem like yours ever occurs you don't have to do anything (it just sits in the background) and 5 or 10 secs after the problem occurs it comes up with 4 options: No Action, Delete, Rename or Move. Choose Delete. Always worked for me so good luck! **** J.

Collapse -
unlocker is the one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!I tried so many suggestions
by luvdared / September 14, 2012 8:28 AM PDT

Everyone having this problem GET ONTO "UNLOCKER" it is the ducks nuts Happy

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.