Computer Help forum

General discussion

Delete partition?

by GoldSKy83 / March 29, 2008 8:14 AM PDT

Hey, I'm running an Acer 5100-3583 {Win XP home original} and needed to reformat my hard drive.
Well, my copy of win xp home's a few states away, so I grabbed a buddy's copy of xp professional. Anyway, at his direction {he was guzzlin' margaritas, lol} I installed it in a rather unorthodox manner.
I now have both xp home {drive C} and xp professional {drive D} on the pc, and I need the space from C, now taken up with home {the old one}, as drive D's way too small to meet my needs.
Is there a way I can remove partition C or do I need to start over somehow? What's the best course of action here?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Delete partition?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Delete partition?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I'm surprised it installed. . .
by Coryphaeus / March 29, 2008 9:51 AM PDT
In reply to: Delete partition?

How did you activate it?

Collapse -
Via interweb
by GoldSKy83 / March 29, 2008 10:31 AM PDT

Via interweb.

Collapse -
Haha.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 29, 2008 11:20 AM PDT
In reply to: Via interweb
Collapse -
Thanks {rolling eyes}
by GoldSKy83 / March 29, 2008 11:52 AM PDT
In reply to: Haha.

Geez! lol
If anybody can help with the real problem, please hit me up at steve@theinternet/google.email.

Collapse -
I am easily amuzed
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 30, 2008 8:24 AM PDT
In reply to: Thanks {rolling eyes}

I will have to keep that term in mind for you next time.

Collapse -
Unclear As To What You Want...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / March 30, 2008 4:19 AM PDT
In reply to: Via interweb

Yes, it's clear you want to remove XP Home from the "C" drive and reformat it.. But do you want to leave XP Pro on the "D" and leave the "C" drive labeled as "C" and empty/formatted so you can store data on "C"?.

In addition, is the XP Pro installation a full and legal version? You'll have issues if it's not. (You mentioned it was validated on the interweb but do the Home version and the Pro version have separate, legal product keys?).

Is the computer set up to dual-boot,either XP Home or XP Pro? (If so, you'll need to change boot items.)

Is the computer a brand-name machine with it's own driver recovery disc? (Did you install the hardware drivers for the XP Pro installation and how did you do it..? Generally, they install to the C drive and as such, it could cause issues depending on exactly what you want to do..)

Hope this helps and let us know more.

Grif

Collapse -
Pretty much...
by GoldSKy83 / March 30, 2008 7:32 AM PDT

Yeah, Pro's full, legal keyed, and runnin' like clockwork. They do have separate keys, and I'm using Pro on D right now, drivers installed, etc.

Really, I can operate either version except 'home' runs like crap {due to some update fubars}, which is why I wanted to reformat, etc.

Upon rebooting, I'm given an option of which windows to roll, and thus what drive to use.

I never had a driver recovery disk. I merely went to acer and dl'ed a pdf listing the needed drivers for my hardware, and direct links to each, so I just installed each.

Probably minus the booze, my buddy would've been more on the ball, but as it was, I didn't even realize 'til I was finished that I still hadn't removed the old version.

Basically the problem is that D's 9gb max. {which won't cut it} and my entire C drive's going to waste. If I could empty it and merge it {the space} with D, that'd be great, or I s'pose, even just empty it and install any programs on it, etc. Either one would work if it's possible and I knew how to do it.

But naturally, I can't just delete 'partition C' {listed as 'system'} from admin tools, no matter what I'm booting from.

So yes. lol. To sum up... The first paragraph of the last post {Unclear as to what you want} would be great, if doable.

Collapse -
Well, If You're Wanting To Merge The Two Partitions..
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / March 30, 2008 9:30 AM PDT
In reply to: Pretty much...

...then my personal choice would be to start from scratch, boot from the XP CD, eliminate both partitions and install to a new "C" drive which would then be larger and be best for standard operations such as installing programs, etc. Following these procedures would obviously, wipe ALL of the hard drive and require reinstalling everything

If you want to leave XP PRO on "D" and merge the space from C to D, then I'd recommend a program such ParitionMagic, or similar..

It should be possible to edit the "boot.ini" file so only the XP Pro partition boots. ONce that's done, you should be able to access the C drive from XP's Disc Manager and format the C drive. I'm not sure it's going to be the easiest to maintain though... Many programs INSIST on installing to the C/system/Windows drive. In this case, that wouldn't be such and you could run into update problems, etc.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
gparted
by dmdzine / March 31, 2008 12:52 AM PDT

gparted might do the trick... but starting from scratch is by far the least problematic, safest, and easiest solution

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?