General discussion

Delete Files After 3 Password Tries? Software Recommend?

I'm looking for a program that would allow passwording files or folders, but also if after, say, three unsuccessful password entries, the file/folder is deleted. I already have FolderGuard, it passwords files and folders, but it doesn't destroy files after erroneous password entry and is vulnerable in Safe Mode.

Any recommendations?

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Delete Files After 3 Password Tries? Software Recommend?
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Delete Files After 3 Password Tries? Software Recommend?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
I'm Not Sure Why You'd Want That...

Think about it... YOU create a special file or folder with extremely important data.. A CRIMINAL wants to destroy that file.. He/she types in three incorrect passwords and YOUR files or folders are deleted from the computer..

Somehow that seems wrong..

Depending on which operating system you're referring to, an admin should be able to limit the limited users who have access rights within the operating system security.

I believe there are programs which will prevent continue "attempts" after 3 password attempts but I've not seen one that does what you're asking.. (For example, we use such with our network logon passwords.. After three failed attempts, the username is locked out of the network and can only be allowed access when a network admin gives them a new password.)

Hope this helps.

Grif

- Collapse -
Why?

I've kept a journal for many years. Although I have excerpted major parts of it that will be available to my family, there are parts of it I never want to see the light of day should something happen to me. Maybe I don't know enough about the encryption process to feel sure about it. Can you encrypt a program? I use a specific program made for journaling. It's passworded, but I think it's pretty simplistic. I'd prefer the files just go away since I'd have no use for them any more.

- Collapse -
'I'd prefer the files just go away '

Sorry, but that's a little confusing.. If the document isn't that important to you, why not simply delete it now?

On the other hand, since you already have it passworded, that should be fine.. You could also zip the file and password-protect the zip file as most Zipper programs allow for a password creation.. And yes, Windows XP has it's own file encryption method BUT, it doesn't encrypt the program but only a specific file or folder. You'll need to password your own user login so that all others accessing the computer must log in use a different "limited" username. There are procedures which allow any admin user to potentially decrypt the file.:

Encrypt a File
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307877

Encrypt a Folder
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308989

Hope this helps.

Grif

- Collapse -
Encription?

If your really concerned with the security of your files, have you considered encrypting them? find a good encrypting software program, and encrypt them, that way if anyone does get by your password all they will see is garble (unless of coarse they had said encryption, and key for it)

- Collapse -
I can assure you

That there is no on the shelf software to do this. However there are plenty of programmers in this world that will help you do this.

I read your post a few days ago and at first thought it might be a little hard to implement but today I see your first year programmer can make this happen if they are given an outline of the task.

So yup, it can be done. Just how much is it worth to you?
Bob

CNET Forums

Forum Info