General discussion

delete duplicate files by date

I copied 8 hard drives to one big drive and ended up with 230,000+ files. There sometimes as many as 8 copies of the same file. They almost always have different dates. I want to if there is a duplicate file eraser that will leave the newest date.

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: delete duplicate files by date
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: delete duplicate files by date
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Re: duplicate files

- That 8 copies are in 8 different folders?
- And it's not important in that case from which 7 folders the file is deleted and in which folder the file stays, as long as it is the newest one that stays?
- And filename and filesize are the criteria to tell that files are identical? So if there are many copies of a file, say, admin.xls they can be grouped in groups with the same filename (admin.xls), but possibly different sizes (one group with size 12.786 bytes, one group with size 16.896 bytes, etc) and then in each group only the latest has to stay?
- And: what date has to be used for the comparison (creation date of modification date)?

Kees

- Collapse -
dlete duplicate files

All that matters is that I keep the newest file. There are several duplicate file deleting programs. Which one should I use?

- Collapse -
Then any will do.

Finding duplicate files is the easy step. What you decide to do is crucial. There is no app that can replace your decisions.
Bob

- Collapse -
duplicate file finder

I have used advance care free version and duplicate files deleter that helps in finding duplicate files and deletes the file whether its mp3 format or any other and quite user friendly to use

- Collapse -
try Duplicate Files Deleter

This is free software that can be downloaded on to your computer, it finds and deletes duplicate files from hard drive. The Duplicate Files Deleter is extremely effective software that will not only free up your precious storage space, but will also give a boost to the performance of your PC.

You can Sort and organize your media collections and Find duplicate files by content!

- Collapse -
duplicate files

All files are estentially the same size. But size is not what matters. For the most part they are Excel file. All I want is to save the newest one irrgardless of any other criteria. I want software that can do that for me.

CNET Forums