Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Defragging in XP

by Carol~ Moderator / February 5, 2006 9:23 AM PST

Within a thread on this page titled ''Windows XP Slow Shutdown'', member ''caktus'' answered the original post thusly:

I beleive applies if the fragmentation may drastically affect the operation of Windows. Regular or even daily defragmenting will [help] keep the machine operating at peak performance. It also means defregmentation time may be reduced form many minutes to as little as seconds.

This has been a question I've never really looked into, but has been on my mind for quite some time, since I had remembered reading that one shouldn't defrag on a continual basis. I just looked under the ''help'' section within ''Defragmentation'' in XP which states:

Analyzing before defragmenting
Analyze volumes before defragmenting them. After analyzing a volume, a dialog box tells you the percentage of fragmented files and folders on the volume and recommends whether to defragment the volume. Analyze volumes regularly and defragment them only when Disk Defragmenter recommends it. A good guideline is to analyze volumes at least once a week. If you seldom need to defragment volumes, analyze volumes monthly instead of weekly.

Why does it say to defragment it only when the defragmenter recommends it? Is there a reason the documentation says not to run it, if analysis proves it unnecessary? Is it detrimental, or merely a useless task?

Thanks in advance for any and all input..
Carol

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Defragging in XP
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Defragging in XP
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Wear on the hard drive...
by John.Wilkinson / February 5, 2006 9:41 AM PST
In reply to: Defragging in XP

Carol,

The reason you should only run defragmenter when it recommends doing so is because each time you do you are putting wear on the hard drive, thereby shortening its life span. (Simply using the hard drive puts a low amount of wear on it, but that amount is much less than during the defrag process.) However, if your drive is heavily fragmented it would put more, and continued, strain on the drive than a short defragging session. In that case, defragging would be a wise idea, helping to extend your hard drive's life and increase overall performance.

Hope this helps,
John

Collapse -
Thanks John.. and I couldn't have
by Carol~ Moderator / February 5, 2006 10:03 AM PST

gotten a better answer from a better person! You've explained it well. (I always like to know ''why''.) The fact is, analysis has proven that I have never needed to. I have done it on a very rare occasion and when I have, it hasn't taken more than 5 minutes.

Thanks again for straightening this out for me..
Carol

Collapse -
Link on defrag
by 19sd78 / February 5, 2006 10:41 PM PST
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?