General discussion

defrag wont work

The defragmantation wont work on my PC, can anyone please help me with this?
Thanks,
Janos

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: defrag wont work
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: defrag wont work
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Disk defrag

Try running the disk defragmenter in SAFE MODE.

- Collapse -
Start Computer in SAFE MODE

Hiw do I start an old E-machine, window 98 in safe mode, to get defracmenting working

- Collapse -
How To Start In Safe Mode
- Collapse -
defrag win 98

Hit Ctrl Alt Delete and close all running progs EXCEPT Explorer & Systray. Run Defrag
Hope this helps

- Collapse -
Janos, More Information Please

Whenever posting questions on these forums, please give us as much information as possible about your computer. Depending on your issue, we might need the operating system, processor speed, amount of RAM installed, brand name of the computer, (if there is one), and any EXACT error messages you are receiving, plus any other information you think might be helpful. The more information you give us, the better informed our answer will be.

Let us know more.

Grif

- Collapse -
What is your OS

Note: If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem.

Tom

- Collapse -
defrag wont work

I appreciate everyone's response, this is a great group here!
I tried in safe mode, would not work there either, and no error messages. I also tried "repair" using the operating system CD, didn't help.
The PC is a notebook Compaq Presario 1500T,
operationg system is XP home edition 2002 with service pack 2 installed.
Processor Intel Pentium 4, 1.5 Ghz.

Thanks,
Janos

- Collapse -
Janos
- Collapse -
Janos
- Collapse -
defrag wont work

Thanks for the good links Tom. I tried about everything but no fix. There are no error messages it just simply wont start. I will have to reinstall Windows I guess.
I appreciate your help,
Janos

- Collapse -
Janos, Other Things To Try...

Something that doesn't appear to have been mentioned so far...In order to run Defrag in Windows XP, you MUST be logged in as a user with administrator privileges.. Do you have admin rights on this computer? If not, then you need to log in with a user name which has admin rights.

When you restarted into Safe Mode, did you try logging in as the "administrator" log in? If not please do so and then try running defrag. If you haven't already created a password for the "hidden" administrator log in, then you can leave it blank and press "Enter" to log in.

Let us know.

HOpe this helps.

Grif

- Collapse -
Janos
- Collapse -
Possible problem

Hi Janos,

Awhile back when I was running Windows 98, I had the same exact problem. I soon found out that the problem had been my hd. In other words, the area of my hd which contained bad sectors is where some of my system files, defrag utility, etc. was located. So that being said, I was unable to run certain programs, such as, the defragging program. Unfortunately, my only alternative was to buy a new hardrive and install everything from scratch. I then tried defragging soon after and it worked fine.

By the way, I did try reinstalling Windows prior to buying a new hd, and then running the defrag program. No dice, still problematic.

Hope this helps,

~John~

- Collapse -
defrag problem

hi i have the same problem too.
i have windows vista, and have tried everything to defrag.
with vista there are software issues.
some of the software just freezes or do not seem to work at times.
we rule the day we ever bought vista its rubbish.
i want to defrag and i cant.

- Collapse -
defrag error solved

My defrag would not work, i tried it in safe mode also. It continued to say the chkdsk was scheduled and to try chkdsk/f
What worked see below:
in RUN: chkdsk /r (yes, do put a space after chkdsk)
It took awhile (about 1.5 hours) but deleted something called "MrClean" which did not belong there. Problem solved!

- Collapse -
Defrag Not Working

I use WinMe and have a problem with Defrag, in that everything appears OK except that the system won't start checking the drive. My 'cure' is to Stop the Defrag. I than get asked if I'm sure, then I click on Resume. The defrag then goes aahead as usual. I haven't tried in Safe Mode.
viclud

- Collapse -
Defrag not working

Its very important to disable all Antivirus and firewall during the defrag op

- Collapse -
???????????????Defrag should work !!!!! BE PATIENT !!!

Janos,
Sounds to me like your using Windows Millenium Edition or could be any older O.S. then XP.... On every single one of my older computers that had either windows 98, windows 98se, windows ME, and also all of my brothers computers, it seemed like the defrag always restarted itself and would never finish...like it wouldn't work....this is a sign of not being defragged in a very long time, it doesn't mean that its broken or isn't working properly, if you get that kind of actions then you have a long wait before it will finish, but it will finish, you just have to be patient like a few hours patient. Good luck and safe surfing.
andemon1981@aol.com any questions hit me up at that email or by im....l8ter

- Collapse -
Defrag Won't Work

You didn't state what operating system, hardware, etc you have so I will offer a few suggestions.

Both Defrag and Scandisk are low level applications designed with the expectation of hardware access without conflict from other applications.

The most common culprits are anti-virus applications as they intermittently access the hard drive unbeknownst to you. Shut down any anti-virus, firewall and/or applications which run in the background. If you have cable access, shut off the modem (press button on top of modem or disconnect power cord). Disable the screensaver and disconnect the RJ-45 cable from the machine. If that seems like a lot of fuss, run the program from Safe Mode.

The advantage of executing these applications in Safe Mode is that your machine is running with only the modules critical to your operating system reducing conflict and not to mention hours of time which I'm sure you'd rather spend doing something else which is more productive. I still shut off my cable modem as a precautionary measure. The job will run in a fraction of the time and you can go about the business of enjoying your pc. Restart it back in normal mode and have fun.

Regards,

ProsEZpcs

- Collapse -
Spyware Doctor upgrade recently?

If so, that's the problem. It's hitting lots of people -- and PC Tools/Spyware Doctor is responding *VERY* poorly to the issue.

I have yet to receive support after reporting the problem several days ago and across two support tickets. I no longer recommend Spyware Doctor, or more specifically PC Tools. If one pays for a product, one should be *some* level of support when problems arise, especially when the company is fully aware of the problem, and PC Tools most definitely is.

Okay I'll say it: PC Tools sucks at customer service. I *still* do not have the Spyware Doctor for which I paid, but I can defrag again. (PC Tools, I'm still waiting to hear back from you! You have my money; I now need your support.)

- Collapse -
Spyware Doctor upgrade recently

I don't know if I'd be too tough on them, depending on what other issues you are having with the software.
Anti-virus, firewalls, anti-spy applications are designed to run in background and largely be transparent to the user. Kind of like a good cop. You know they are there, but unless some offense is detected, you aren't troubled by their presence.

In retrospect, when applications like ScanDisk and Defrag were first developed many years ago, there were either none or very few such security applications predominant in the market. Even on the old mainframes, such activity was done during a reserved maintenance period where no users were allowed to logon and is a practice that largely prevails to this day.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

ProsEZpcs

- Collapse -
Defragging

Knowing the OS is critical. You might be running low on harddrive space in XP or you might also might not be seeing that analysing the HD is taking a long time before the actual defrag starts.

In ME, there has been a long time problem with things breaking into the defrag process and forcing a restart. This is fixable. A simple try is to run defrag with everything else shut off in the system or do it in safe mode. Run chkdsk also will help. there also were some small programs out to work around the defrag issue in ME.

- Collapse -
I Had This Problem With Win 98

Janos,

Did you mention which OS you're using? When I saw someone else refer to Windows 98, that reminded me that I had the SAME problem on my Win 98 system.

I cannot recall where I found the solution, but it surely works for my Win 98 system. It sounds crazy, so I wouldn't blame you if you hesitate to try it. Here are the instructions I noted some time ago.

''Defrag in Windows '98 must be done by editing \windows\system.ini and changing the shell from:
shell=explorer.exe
to
shell=defrag.exe
and then reboot.''

When complete, you'll have to change it back, of course.

I also had this 2nd note regarding a simpler method, however, I've not tried this one.

Boot your computer to Minimal Boot as follows. Start your system, hold down the ''CTRL'' key when you hear the computer power on. You will then get 4 options. Choose ''Minimal Boot.'' When Windows does come up, just run defrag.

As I said, I have not tried this second method, but I had it noted along with my first suggestion which I know DOES work.

Good luck and tell us what happens, please.

Tony

P.S.: As I tried to search for where I got this idea, I thought it might have been from an old PC Magazine tips section, but I didn't find it there. However, if you do a Yahoo or Google search for ''shell=defrag.exe'', you'll see there are quite a few hits out there. Others have apparently tried this, too.

Good luck!

- Collapse -
I think your attempting to run the wrong program

Are you attempting to run "dfrag.exe either because you are starting it from "Run' or have the wrong link in the 'Start' menu. If so it will appear to be starting, but will immediatly shut down without giving any error message. You need to run "dfrg.msc" instead, this in turn will run dfrag.exe. You could try using 'Start..Run' then type the following
"%SystemRoot%\System32\dfrg.msc
You could also use the same line to create a shortcut in the Start Menu.

- Collapse -
Defrag won't work

Try defragging in Safe Mode. When you boot up hold down the Control key or keep hitting F8 and the computer will open in Safe Mode. This turns off all the peripherals.
Also before you do that, take off any screen saver and set your power time to about an hour so the PC won't go to sleep.
Maxine

- Collapse -
defrag wont work

Boot computer in safe mode then select defrag from system tools in accessories
tonyt!

- Collapse -
defrag in safe mode

it still won't run. Keeps coming up with chkdsk/c is scheduled to run (which it isn't) and please check chkdsk/f I ran it in safe mode, still comes up with same error message.

CNET Forums