Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Defrag will not complete

by d838 / February 22, 2004 11:49 PM PST

I have Win 98SE. Read your recent response to defrag problems. Followed instructions/suggestions but no luck. When running defrag in Windows it keeps restarting. Sometimes getting as much as 72% complete before it restarts. I tried defrag in SAFE MODE (after closing all running programs according to Microsoft's web site). Defrag completes 2% then stops and gives me the following message:
A FATAL EXCEPTION 0E HAS OCCURED AT 0028:C00078C0 IN VXDVMM(01) + 000068C0. THE CURRENT APPLICATION WILL BE TERMINATED.

Do you have any suggestions?
Thanks Doug Gardner

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Defrag will not complete
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Defrag will not complete
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:Defrag will not complete
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 23, 2004 12:04 AM PST

Review http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;222469 but consider that you may have other issues.

1. Pull the case cover off to sniff out a heat issue.
2. Pass the memory test with zero errors no matter how long it runs. http://www.memtest86.com
3. Be free from all parasites. Adaware, Spybot and Cwshredder plus a Web-based virus scan. Pre-emptive answer = There are more things than virus, worm and trojan.

In closing, tell more about the machine.

Bob

Collapse -
by thalteman / February 23, 2004 2:25 AM PST

Generally, the reason defrag stops is that some other program is running or rather tries to start and causes defrag to stop. The only suggestion I know of is...
press: Ctrl+Alt+Delete and an end task dialog box will
pop up. "Do not choose [Highlight] Explorer or
systray or system will shut off PC!"
Click on a line [with left mouse button to
highlight] then click end task {sometimes it
only takes once, sometimes up to four times to
end before another dialog box pops up and you
have to click this also, now continue to
repeat first step until the only lines
left in the end task dialog box are explorer
and systray. now click cancel and...
The defrag program "should" now run without further problems. But remember, each time you run defrag this procedure will need to be followed.
Posted by: thalteman

Collapse -
by visaliawho / February 23, 2004 4:26 AM PST

1 close all open programs. 2 click start and then RUN. the dialog box appears. 3type MSCONFIG amd click ok.4 the System Configuration Utility appears click Advanced.5 Check Enable Startup Menu, then click OK. 6 you will be prompted to restart the computer click YES. the computer will start in Safe Mode (this can take several minutes)
Now run your defragment program and when the error comes up click on the help button that will pop up there you run that program and it will fix your error problems. How run defg. again and it will complete.when you are finished just repeat the steprs, butr in step 5 "Enable Start-up Menu," then restart computer as you normally would.

Collapse -
by Livewire / February 25, 2004 11:48 AM PST

So you tried defraging in safe mode and still don't defrag. Try this turn off all your virus software, screen saver, and power saving feature.
Disable your schedule maintence then do a thorough scandisk first check the box that automaticly fixes error, I know this is not a defrag issue but do this first, it fixes the hard drive if it has errors.
Then do the defrag if it stll don't defrag. Clean up all the tempory internet file, remove all the cookies and do a disk cleaning. If you have nortin utilites use their clean sweep to clean up the hard drive or use the windows version and defrag.
Still no luck run a virus scan, remember you have to enable it again and check for virus trojan horse, worm.
Then download some free adware removal tool from download.com . I found that adware removal 6.0 and spybot search&destroy 1.2 works fine and they are free to try. Do a scan you will be suprise at how many there is. If this doesn't help after you have scan disk. you have a vxd that is could be corrupted. Go to bootdisk.com and look for your vxd name and down load it. Then replace the bad vxd the new one.
Good luck. Dave.

Collapse -
by debp / February 29, 2004 8:13 PM PST

I have had the same problem, what I have done is close all running programs, except explorer and systray, make sure your screensaver is off, also disconnect from you internet service. That was my catch right there, once I disconnected, it would go right through.
I have cabel internet. Hope that helps.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!