Computer Help forum

General discussion

Defrag dead and can't get system info to work

Windows XP Pro operating system (Dell 4400)
1000gb memory
20gb HD (67% free)

I just finished a clean re-installation of my OP system and finally got security/updates up to date. I went to defrag and can't get it to work. I have tried the forum suggestions of trying in safe mode, but that doesn't work. I have also checked the registry to make sure defrag is enabled, it is.
My system information also doesn't work. It says: "Can't collect information" "A network error occured connecting to Windows Management Instrumentation. Ensure that your network connection is functioning properly".
I have fiddled with services but WMI is enabled and started, and my network connection is working fine or I wouldn't be online.
Is there any other services that I may have disabled or turned to manual that may be preventing me from either of these tasks?
Any other suggestions/guidance would be muchly appreciated!

Regards

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Defrag dead and can't get system info to work
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Defrag dead and can't get system info to work
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
1000gb memory <- Not supported by XP.

In reply to: Defrag dead and can't get system info to work

I bet that's a typo, but we do expect such this century but not in Windows XP.

As to MSINFO, that's a proper message if some services were disabled. Read http://support.microsoft.com/kb/323209

I hope you are aware that many trojans and worms will have free entry and reign over a fresh install of XP. Since it's not XP SP2 I see instance infections since the owner installs XP, then connects to the internet to update and the worm walks in since they didn't install the firewall before connecting to the internet.

Bob

Collapse -
yes, a typo! what was I thinking!

In reply to: 1000gb memory <- Not supported by XP.

Meant 1gb, sorry about that.

I know of what you speak, trojans jumping in right away. I installed a firewall and virus protection from CD immediately upon install of new OP. Then proceeded to install SP2. Security DID stop a trojan in it's tracks.
I will check out the link you supplied with your post.
Any other advice you can offer?

regards

Collapse -
With XP SP2 the DCOM Server Process Launcher service needs..

In reply to: yes, a typo! what was I thinking!

With XP SP2 the DCOM Server Process Launcher service needs to
be running for Defrag to work.

From what I see I bet something has been tweaking the OS.

Bob

Collapse -
got defrag working

In reply to: With XP SP2 the DCOM Server Process Launcher service needs..

Thanks for that last post, DCOM service was set to manual and had not started. I set it to auto and started, defrag now works. Thanks a million.
Regarding the other issue. I read the info at MS from the link you gave me, all the required services are working, I even restarted them to be sure. System info still won't work. I also followed the other links regarding log in issues for services and that doesn't apply here.
It obviously must be a service that I'm not seeing yet.

If you mean that "something is tweaking my system" means I may have a virus or trojan, how can I figure out which? I have used several spyware scanners and done a virus scan (all clean). I just switched to AVG free. I will shortly go do an online trend micro scan and see if it can find anything.
Previously I was using Norton but am fed up with the problems and lack of help from symantec.
Got a better suggestion for virus protection?

Regards

Collapse -
Just sharing what I use. Your choice here.

In reply to: got defrag working

I don't need "support" so I don't pay for it. For me, here's my list.

Free AVG Antivirus and Free AVG AntiSpyware. Zone Alarm and I don't use Internet Explorer except for Windows update. I also turn off email preview and delete unsolicated emails. POPFILE handles the spam jobs.

The DCOM server set to manual is some sign. How did that happen? I'd find out.

Bob

Collapse -
DCOM status

In reply to: Just sharing what I use. Your choice here.

I have a couple of "adjust services" lists that I refer to when changing services settings. I don't follow them to the letter and if I have a service that isn't on the list, I'm apt to set it to manual thinking it will start when necessary. I'm learning that isn't always the case. I can't be positive, but I do think it was myself that changed that DCOM setting to manual.

Besides currently running AVG free anti-virus and AVG free anti-spyware,
I also use Firefox whenever possible (IE6 only for MS updates)and Thunderbird email. I scan with Adaware, Spybot S&D, Spyware Doctor, Spyware Blaster, Spysweeper, and Zone Alarm is always running. I tried the AVG firewall and found it too clunky and hard to manage.

I can't thank you enough for your assistance. I will now go clean up temp files, do a defrag and then a Trend Micro online scan. I will check back here after that, let you know if I found anything.

Regards,

Collapse -
Cleaning done

In reply to: DCOM status

Hi Bob,

Just wanted to update you on how things are going. After a great deal of trouble downloading the scan files for Trend Micro (slowwww dial up) I managed to find only one minor spyware file. It is gone and everything seems to be running smoothly. Even my System information is working now. Don't know if it was spyware or me mucking with settings but it feels right now.

Thanks again for all your help!

Regards
North

Collapse -
Even "one" is too many from my view.

In reply to: Cleaning done

While I'll not be concerned over a cookie, the damage I'm seeing from pests is too widespread and all it takes is one bad item to muck up a perfectly good day.

Bob

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.