- on your OS (98, XP?)
- on how big your hard disk is (2 Gb, 200 Gb?)
- on how fast your hard disk (transfer rate, rotations, connection)
- on how many space is filled (500 Mb, 150 Gb?)
- on what defrag program you use (Microsofts, Nortons, other)?
- depending on the defrag program: which options and settings you use
- how defragged your files and file system are
It's easier to just try. You can always stop halfway if it takes too long. It could be two minutes (Windows 98, files only defrag) or (large hard disk, sincerely defragged, full defrag).
Hope this helps.
I am new to computers! Approximately how long should I figure to defrag the C Drive when I do this for the first time? This is justa typical home PC with no bells or whistles. Thanx for your help.