Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Defrag and scandisk

by jennylyn / April 23, 2004 4:00 PM PDT

I use Windows 98SE. I can't get the scandisk or defrag to work. It will run for a while then start over. It does this over and over. I have tried exiting all programs and that doesn't help either. I'm not sure why it's doing that but would love any advice I can get on what to do and how to get my computer cleaned up. Thanks in advance for your help!!!

Jen

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Defrag and scandisk
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Defrag and scandisk
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:Defrag and scandisk
by Cursorcowboy / April 23, 2004 9:25 PM PDT
In reply to: Defrag and scandisk
Collapse -
Re:Re:Defrag and scandisk
by bobb64 / April 23, 2004 11:50 PM PDT
In reply to: Re:Defrag and scandisk

also try them in safe mode; by restarting and holding control and option 3. Make sure anti virus software is closed.

Collapse -
NT - Why do something more complicated than stated?
by Cursorcowboy / May 28, 2004 11:44 PM PDT

Collapse -
by Phate / May 28, 2004 7:47 AM PDT

There is a cool, easy to use program available called Diskeeper. Search for it through Google.
Download the 'free' trial software (for 15 days).
Use it to defrag your system. You can even leave it running in the background so you don't need to remember to defrag!
If you like the program you can buy it for about $20.

Cheers,

Phate

Collapse -
NT - Why do something more complicated than stated that eats ''resources''?
by Cursorcowboy / May 28, 2004 11:45 PM PDT

Collapse -
by CharleyO / April 24, 2004 11:40 AM PDT

Did you try using MSconfig from Start...Run...type in msconfig...Startup tab to stop all unneeded programs?

Collapse -
Run Defrag In Safe Mode
by pfeffer3 / April 24, 2004 11:53 AM PDT

Turn computer on and immediately hold down the F8 key until Safe Mode option appears.

When finished running defrag, turn computer off/back on.

Collapse -
by Bob G / April 24, 2004 1:58 PM PDT

I have found that scandisk runs much better in the true DOS mode. Start - Shutdown - Restart in DOS

When I run defrag I use the file only mode. Much faster
defrag /U

Collapse -
by Ell-Jay / April 25, 2004 11:45 PM PDT

I tried running defrag, but didn't realize that if there is ANY user-caused disk activity at all, the utility starts over again (not from scratch, fortunately).

If a screensaver comes on and you want to track the progress of the defrag by jiggling the mouse to restore the screen, that's user-caused disk activity.

Deactivate screensaver if you want to track progress, or just leave the machine absolutely alone for several hours, if need be.

Collapse -
Re:Re:Re:Defrag and scandisk
by Bob G / April 27, 2004 6:37 AM PDT

This responce should have been posted to the opening post. The settings I use eliminate the need to turn off programs and/or use safe mode.

Collapse -
by StormAzul / May 1, 2004 4:34 AM PDT

In Win98SE, the most efficient way to run Scandisk, THEN defrag:
1) close or exit any open programs:
a) any program icons showing on the taskbar that allow a close, disable or exit.
b) any programs running in the background can be found with Ctrl-Alt-Delete, then End Task ALL of them EXCEPT Systray and Explorer.
c) set Screensaver to none.
2) Open ScanDisk
a) select either Standard (weekly) or Thorough (monthly, will take a while, just let it run.
b) make sure the box is checked for Automatically fix errors.
Note: Not closing open programs will cause ScanDisk to continually restart. After 10 restarts, it will ask if you want to continue or quit.
Defrag only after running ScanDisk.
After running ScanDisk and Defrag, a restart will reset all programs back to normal. Screensaver will need to be reset manually.

Collapse -
by mcdaddydouble_d / May 28, 2004 8:44 AM PDT

Jen;

I use the same operating system as you do. And I've had the same, and probably worse, problems that you are having at this time. That is, defraging my unit.

Anyway, after numerous attempts and a tremendous amount of fustration I looked to PC World magazine that offers numerous other sites to download ancillary defragmenters and such on a free trial period. I found them to be very useful.

When the free tial period runs out in thirty days (or whatever) you can try another and another and so on. You can also go to www.download.com for another source.

If you can't find a cure for your problem---and I doubt whether you will---you can always try this route. I have; and now I'm a happy camper---for say.

I hope you the best of luck.

Ciao.

Collapse -
by ARTGOOCH / June 4, 2004 2:08 AM PDT

I WAS HAVING SIMILAR PROBLEMS UNTIL I TURNED OFF MY SCREENSAVER.
IT KEPT INTERRUPTING MY DEFRAN, SCAN DISC PROGRAMS.
EASY FIX
HOPE IT WORKS
ART

Collapse -
NT - Why do something more complicated than stated in my first above?
by Cursorcowboy / June 4, 2004 2:51 AM PDT

Collapse -
by guess / June 4, 2004 2:40 AM PDT

Iam certainly no expert but Ive had that problem too ...what I had to do is ....close all running programs useing cntrl alt del (except for explorer)then go to Control Panel-Display-Screensaver-Settings set for max mins. apply...drop to Energy settings ...set those for what ever ...lets say 3 hours each ...apply.
what this does is allow uninterrupted running of scandisk or defrag ...at least it works for me ...whats happening is you maintence is being interrupted...and may try to restart several times till its timed out

Collapse -
NT - Why do something more complicated than stated in my first above?
by Cursorcowboy / June 4, 2004 2:49 AM PDT

Collapse -
by kasey / June 6, 2004 9:46 AM PDT

I have found that the only way to keep it going is to take your screen saver off. For some reason it keeps restarting with it on. Once you turn it off, I have better luck with running a full system scan & defrag!

Collapse -
Re: Defrag and scandisk
by shaleboy / June 25, 2004 3:12 AM PDT

Have you increased the time before your screen saver comes on?

Collapse -
by vasishth / November 23, 2004 8:17 AM PST

Try turning off your Screensaver. If that doesn't work, try rebooting your machine in Safe Mode--choose Restart and hold down the Control key until prompted to choose the mode you want to run in, and then choose Safe Mode. After start-up is complete, run Disk Tuneup or Scan Disk or what have you.

Good luck,

Collapse -
by robertjsandor / November 25, 2004 4:06 PM PST

StormAzul and Cursercowboy are the only two responders with the simplest and CORRECT answer to your problem.
Screen Saver must be set to NONE.
There is no reason whatsoever to go to DOS, or to buy programs or to download free programs.
The Defrag program that comes with every Computer will work flawlessly if everyone would remember; after shutting down running programs, to turn off Screensaver.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?