Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Defrag

by auggief / April 6, 2005 9:51 AM PDT

Is it OK to minimize defrag when it is running and do other things while it is running in the background?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Defrag
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Defrag
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Not if you want it to finish in a timely manner
by glb613 / April 6, 2005 9:59 AM PDT
In reply to: Defrag
Collapse -
Time
by auggief / April 6, 2005 10:16 AM PDT

Understand but will it foul up the defrag?

Collapse -
It may not finish
by glb613 / April 6, 2005 10:20 AM PDT
In reply to: Time

I wouldn't recommend it. While it is trying to put some order to your hard drive, you are using it. Defrag doesn't take that long if left alone. It's not like doing a virus scan where you can keep on working if you choose.

Collapse -
Defrag
by michigangirl / April 6, 2005 12:56 PM PDT

You can run other applications.
It will just take a little longer.

Collapse -
Imagine
by nostatic / April 7, 2005 4:09 AM PDT

if you were loading a truck, and you were able to load it neatly half way, then, here comes a worker who takes somethings off of the truck to use. Well its kinda like that, you use a prog. you are taking peices that have been set in a orderly manner(defrag)and rearranged them (when finished with the program, peices goes back to the HDD.).....
you're not going to be well liked by the person loading the truck(its gonna take defrag l o n g e r to finish). not taking sides, just trying to paint a picture for you. Be sure to disable your screen saver, if you use one...if I'm wrong, somebody help me too, I'm always learning.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.