PC Hardware forum

General discussion

Defective Monitor??

by Laraine61 / August 3, 2004 4:27 AM PDT

I am working on a Compaq monitor that does not come up. The power light is on, but the screen is dark. The monitor belongs to a Compaq Presario, 733 mhz, 128 mbs ram, 15 gb hard drive. I put an older Packard Bell monitor on the Compaq and it goes into post and then pops off before getting to the desktop.
I put the Compaq monitor on my Gateway and it will not come up on that either, same thing, power light is lit but will not even run post.
I was thinking the monitor is defective at first but now I think that I may be dealing with a defective power supply also. The Compaq's drive lights do come on however.
Any suggestions?
Laraine

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Defective Monitor??
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Defective Monitor??
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Defective Monitor??
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 3, 2004 4:43 AM PDT
In reply to: Defective Monitor??

Use the working monitor and boot the OS to Safe Mode. What happens?

Bob

Collapse -
by Laraine61 / August 3, 2004 6:04 AM PDT

I did that and the Compaq went into Safe mode fine. I rebooted and that is when it passed post and then went pop and the monitor went black.
Thanks for the response,
Laraine

Collapse -
Now boot up in SAFE MODE and....
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 3, 2004 7:40 AM PDT

Change the display setting to 640x480. Ok your way out and then boot normally.

What happens?

-------------------------

Why it matters. Some displays are not autodetected by windows so we have to set the display mode to within the monitor's capabilities. I will not look up your monitor capabilities.

Bob

Collapse -
Re: Now boot up in SAFE MODE and....
by Laraine61 / August 3, 2004 9:01 AM PDT

Hey Robert thanks for the advice. I found out that this Compaq model has a sofpac update for this problem. I will try your procedure using the PB monitor and install this patch. I will keep you informed.
Laraine

Collapse -
Re: Now boot up in SAFE MODE and....
by Laraine61 / August 3, 2004 9:56 AM PDT

Hey Robert,
I can get into Windows on the Compaq with the PB monitor thanks to you. I followed your instructions that me into Windows. I found a sofpac driver for the Compaq model on the Compaq website, that I am working on and downloading as we speak. I was so baffled. I was told that Compaq monitors weren't compatible with Gateway computers, that is the biggest baffle of this whole weird situation.
I don't have the Compaq online so I am downloading the sofpac to my main Gateway and install it on a cdr. I am going to send the file to the desktop and install it from there on the Compaq.
Wish me luck& thanks again.
Laraine

Collapse -
That's great. Here's the lowdown.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 3, 2004 10:58 AM PDT

That monitor can only do some video settings. I won't know which are compatible, but Windows should let you try 800x600 and if not, you know how to get back to what worked (safe mode, change...)

I think you are going to be fine.

Bob

Collapse -
Re: That's great. Here's the lowdown.
by Laraine61 / August 3, 2004 12:05 PM PDT

Thanks Robert,
I can get into Windows with the PB monitor on the Compaq now... I have been researching on the Compaq website and found a download for the Compaq black screen problem that I am working on. My problem is that I have downloaded the required drivers onto my Gateway to place on a cdrw. The file wants to install onto my Gateway computer instead of burning the file onto my burner.
Thanks for the help
Laraine

Collapse -
Re: That's great. Here's the lowdown.
by Laraine61 / August 4, 2004 1:45 AM PDT

Hey Robert,
I want to thank you for all of your help. I am still working on the computer. I downloaded a file from Compaq's website that is supposed to fix the black screen problem that I am having. My problem is that the Compaq is not online or networked and I am not able to copy the whole file from the Gateway that I have downloaded it onto. The compaq says that it needs to be networked to the gateway to get the needed fix. Any ideas on how I can remove the complete file onto a cdrw to place on the Compaq?
I appreciate the help. I still don't understand why the Compaq monitor won't work on the Gateway.
Thanks again,
Laraine

Collapse -
by jconner / August 3, 2004 4:47 AM PDT
In reply to: Defective Monitor??

Compaq monitor fails on two systems, Secondary monitor fails on Compaq.

Sounds like two problems and perhaps originating with the video card.

Suggest swapping video card out with an older cheap one to verify it gets through post and VGA usage. Might want to use a PCI vs. AGP to test that as well.

Collapse -
by Laraine61 / August 3, 2004 7:36 AM PDT

I was just thinking, why won't the Compaq monitor work on the Gateway, they are built basically the same. I am not able to find a button the the monitor that looks as though it would be used to lighten/darken the screen. Do you know anything about the Compaq monitor?
Thanks for the help.

Collapse -
by holtnr / August 10, 2004 2:58 AM PDT

Monitors come with a limited number of Horizontal pixel densities, Vertical pixel densities, and Refresh Frequencies. Video cards also come with a limited repertoire of Horizontal pixel density, Vertical pixel density and Refresh frequencies combinations. Almost all video cards and monitors will operate at basic VGA 640x480 @60hz, beyond that you can find monitors and video cards that have no other density & Frequency combinations in common. Note, all 3 parameters must match exactly 1024x768 @72 won't work with 1024x768 @75. There's also the question of interlaced vs non-interlaced? (Another variable to consider in monitor/video card matching.) When you buy from the pc manufacturer, he takes care of these considerations for you. When you start swapping monitors around, or trying to upgrade, it's YOUR job to match the specs, or to get the store to commit to something (You'll have better luck with Men Wink ). Many modern (Multi-Sync) monitors will tell you that you have selected an incompatible frequency. In the bad old days you could blow up your monitor with a wrong input.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.