Internet Service Providers forum

General discussion

Defective EDA-2100 on modem line?

by carnivalthud / February 28, 2009 3:14 PM PST

I live in a house with a ridiculously (though necessarily) complex cable set-up. Long story short, in order to get a strong enough signal for broadband internet, one line in my basement apartment had to have an EDA-2100 amp put on it.

Over the last few days, I've been experiencing problems with the modem staying connected. Sometimes, it'll go out for a second, then kick back in; in other cases, it can take an hour or more. After some very rudimentary troubleshooting, I've determined that the only way to guarantee a return of service is to undo all the coax cables going into and out of the EDA-2100 amp, as well as the one going into the modem. That brings service back, though there's no guarantee for how long.

My suspicion is that there's some sort of problem with the amp, possibly needing replacement. Is there an easier way to deal with this? I have problems getting my landlady to bring Comcast out here--should I just replace the amp myself? Or am I barking up the wrong tree here?

I am also somewhat hesitant to bring out a Comcast tech, since we're running two modems on one account. Technically not against the rules, and has worked for almost a year now, but I don't want to risk being shut down.

Thanks in advance. . .

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Defective EDA-2100 on modem line?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Defective EDA-2100 on modem line?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
"since we're running two modems on one account. Technically
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 28, 2009 11:05 PM PST

"since we're running two modems on one account. Technically not against the rules, and has worked for almost a year now, but I don't want to risk being shut down."

The lesson I learned is you need to stay inside the "support envelope." If you want cable modems to work well, let the cable co decide where the cable modem goes and live with their decision.

You've done something that while it worked in the past means nothing to today's problems. It's clear to me you should try it their way and take them to task if it fails.

In closing another cable co user was experiencing severe issues. It turned out a member in their house was running 'torrents.' When that was running the cable modem would go offline or reset. Once the torrent software was banished, everything was fine.
Bob

Collapse -
grey area

"The lesson I learned is you need to stay inside the "support envelope." If you want cable modems to work well, let the cable co decide where the cable modem goes and live with their decision."

I was probably a little too dramatic about that. The tech who set up my cable said it would cause interference and neither modem would ever work. He also told my landlady that the situation was desperate and required her spending thousands of dollars to split the line into two accounts if I even wanted to get HBO downstairs.

Subsequently, we've one who got the full range of television channels working down here. She scoffed at the first guy's doom-and-gloom pronouncements, and gave me the second modem; said that I should be able to register it, but if I couldn't, call and ask for so-and-so. It turned out that I was fine talking to a random support person, and only once when I've called in subsequently have I been met with incredulity.

The issue is that my landlady is completely tech-illiterate, and is gone a lot. So when we were using a wireless router on her modem, we'd sometimes go days without internet, which is simply not an option for me--that crossed the line from inconvenience into serious problem for me.

Thanks for your response.

Collapse -
Get out of the grey.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 1, 2009 1:21 AM PST
In reply to: grey area

It's not a good place to be. Real soon now you may find more choices such as WiMax, other cell broadband cards and more. These will not be available today but will show up as the over the air TV channels clear out and make way for all the new services.
Bob

Collapse -
Addressing the issues
by armymil2003 / March 2, 2009 5:05 AM PST
In reply to: grey area

It is very unlikely that you have 2 modems under one account. If anything, she has it seperated on 2 different accounts. Like

123 Elm St Apt A
123 Elm St Apt B

Or just 123 Elm St.
Then 123 Elm St Apt A

This would be a special arrangement she would have had to make with the internet service provider but it is possible.

The AMP does sound bad and most likely would just need a tech to come out and swap out. I wouldnt mess with it. Although I known people to do it, having the ISP do it for you works out better especially if it needs to be serviced. Usually an amp will need to be installed if the location has 5 or more outlets.

In any sense, why not just setup a router with one modem connection, get a faster high speed connection, and share the bandwidth. You could allocate the available bandwidth per PC. You could even run Cat-5 or cat-6 cabling to each device if of course your landlady approves. It would run so much neater and probably cheeper. Also, you mentioned you have called in and they helped you add the modem to the account. If there was any red flags, they wouldnt have helped you. Happy

Have a good day.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Turn up the volume with our Apple Byte sweeps!

Two lucky winners will take home the coveted smart speaker that lets Siri help you around your connected house. This sweepstake ends Feb. 25, 2018.