Question

default printer changes on windows picture and fax viewer

hi,

i have a user on my organization that hava a number of printers configured on his computer, and just one hp lazerjet is set to default.
but when he opens an image with windows picture and fax viewer
the default printer is different and he has to change it manually.

what can i do to fix that?

thank you

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: default printer changes on windows picture and fax viewer
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: default printer changes on windows picture and fax viewer
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Answer
That sounds proper

If a user 'opens' an image, then the default Image Viewer opens. If that default is the Windows Picture and Fax viewer" then that is what will open.

You can change the default for opening images by right clicking the image file, selecting "Open With", then choosing the preferred image viewer program. Make sure that the option "Always use this application to open this type of file" is selected.

But that won't print the image. For that, you will need to go to the File > Print option in that preferred image viewer.

Mark

- Collapse -
i dont think you understand me..

i want to know why is the "Windows Picture and Fax viewer" program does not recognize the default printer?

- Collapse -
From memory MSFT never offered a fix for that issue.

But you are in a business so it's time to pay for the answer. Make the call and see if they ever fixed it.

- Collapse -
You've seen the other replies

So it would seem that XP's Windows Picture and Fax Viewer is not going to do as you wish.

In that case, i would try my other suggestion and associate these image files with some other viewer of your choice, and see if you can get that application to recognise your default printer.

Good luck.

Mark

- Collapse -
Answer
What app is that?

It could be that app's settings. But no app means I can't guess.
Bob

- Collapse -
I suppose it's this one.
- Collapse -
It's been years since I looked at that app.

It was something of a love child at Microsoft. They made it but didn't document it well. And the issue noted didn't have a documented fix.

Corporate or businesses have another avenue to ask this question!
Bob

CNET Forums