Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Default Printer

by alsaxon / April 7, 2006 6:51 AM PDT

First off, let me say that I really appreciate the help that I ALWAYS get on this forum. It's great.

Here is my problem. I have a default printer set (let's just call it HP 1). All of my print jobs are set to go to HP 1, unless I instruct otherwise. Here is the problem, let's say I want to print envelopes and I need to print to HP 2. I go to my document, go to file and select print to HP 2 (that way it does not automatically print to the HP 1 - my defualt printer). This is good.

Here is where the problem lies. Once I finish printing to that alternate printer, whatever it may be. The selection will not move from that alternate printer unless I tell it to. What I mean is, once I close that document out and go to a brand new document, if I want to print to my default printer I have to manually select it or else the job will be sent to the alternate printer. Does this make sense?

I thought the purpose of a defualt printer was for all jobs to print to that printer UNLESS you instruct the pc otherwise. Therefore, why doesn't it defualt back? Meanwhile, if I go to control panel and go under printers, my defualt printer is definitely checked.

Does anyone understand what I'm saying? Is there a fix for this?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Default Printer
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Default Printer
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Default printer-why?
by soupysweetie / April 7, 2006 7:20 AM PDT
In reply to: Default Printer

The assumption that is made is that once you change printers, you want that change until either YOU change it to another or you exit the program. To show you that this is true, select your secondary printer, print something and then exit the program (don't just close the file). Relaunch the program and check the printer selection. You should see your default printer as the selection.

Looks like your system is working correctly

Collapse -
Thanks for the suggestion but...
by alsaxon / April 7, 2006 4:29 PM PDT
In reply to: Default printer-why?

that did not work either. I opened word chose an alternate printer since it was set to my defualt. I printed to that alternate printer. I then closed word down entirely, opened it back up, attempted to print again and it wanted to print to the alternate, not the defualt. Any other suggestions?

Collapse -
Sounds Wierd !
by fredsteigman / April 7, 2006 5:25 PM PDT

Just go through setting up the HP1 as default again. It might be showing it as default but there may be some confusion.

Otherwise this is a very remote problem that even after showing it as default, it forgets what it means.

Try running over the settings of that again .

Temperorily make HP2 Default and then bring it back to HP1 .

Hope this helps. I know not a very great solution but sometimes problem get solved by simple tinkering.

Collapse -
I think it is a bigger problem
by alsaxon / April 8, 2006 3:05 AM PDT
In reply to: Sounds Wierd !

Maybe it is something withing XP Professional because it does it on the PC's at work and my home PC as well. Hmmm... Maybe I should visit microsoft. Strange. Thanks everyone for the suggestions

Collapse -
When you went from HP1 to HP2 you made HP2 the default
by DarCLew2 / April 21, 2006 3:18 PM PDT
In reply to: Default Printer

A friend had three different printers in his machine when I checked for his default. Turned out that a printer he had was the default and I had to delete the other 2. Same in the registry REGEDIT, edit type in the nonexistent printer and delete it. I have a HP DJ648C Printer and both jobs are thru that one printer I checked the printer and faxes in control panel and had 3 printers in there - now there is only one. Darrell

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

We are giving away 'Black Panther' swag!

Four lucky readers will be taking home *Marvel*ous "Black Panther" prizes, including magazines autographed by the King of Wakanda himself! Giveaway ends Feb. 25, 2018.