Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Default Desktop icons

by christy / May 2, 2006 5:41 PM PDT

I just did a full reinstallation of Win XP Pro SP2. I was surprised to find that, when first booted up to the desktop, there was the wall paper with only the Recycle Bin icon at the bottom right corner. Where are the other "default" icons like My Computer, My Docements, Internet Explorer, Outlook Express, Windows media Player, etc. ? Or am I mistaken ?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Default Desktop icons
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Default Desktop icons
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Default Desktop icons
by Tufenuf / May 2, 2006 9:47 PM PDT
In reply to: Default Desktop icons

christy, Right click your Desktop>Arrange icons by and checkmark "Show desktop icons". Right click your Desktop, choose Properties under the Desktop tab click the Customize Desktop button, under the General tab checkmark which icons you want to show, click OK/Apply/OK.

Collapse -
In addition to Tufenuf's
by eddie11013 / May 2, 2006 11:35 PM PDT

excellent advise you can also do the following for any program that you want on your desktop: Click start/all programs - mouse pointer on program you want - right click - mouse pointer on Send to - left click on Desktop (create shortcut).
Good luck,

Collapse -
Take back your icons
by nsaktihnanner / May 3, 2006 3:29 AM PDT

To get back your My Computer, My Documents, Internet Exlorer and My Network Places icons onto your desktop:

1. Right-click an open area of your desktop.
2. Click 'Properties' from the menu.
3. Select the 'Desktop' tab from the Display Properties control panel.
4. Select the 'Customize Desktop' at the bottom of the panel.
5. Place check marks into the boxes beside the icons that you need, click OK and save.

Collapse -
by RMskater / May 3, 2006 11:18 AM PDT
In reply to: Take back your icons

I never knew that. I always just clicked on the Start menu, then right clicked on the "My Computer" icon (I have the XP styled Start menu, not the "2000" styled) and checked "Show On Desktop".

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?