Windows 8 forum

Resolved Question

Default Boot Device Missing or boot failed

by andreutxi / July 22, 2013 11:50 PM PDT

I just bought a lenovo laptop, which came with preinstalled Windows 8.
When I turn it on the first thing I see is:
EFI network 0 for IPv4 (20-89-84-23-c3-45) boot failed
Checking media (Fail)
EFI network 0 for IPv6 (20-89-84-23-c3-45) boot failed

And then a blue screen:
Default Boot Device Missing or boot failed
Insert recovery media and hit any key
Then select boot manager to choose a new boot device or to boot recovery media

What should I do?
Thank you

andreutxi has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Default Boot Device Missing or boot failed
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Default Boot Device Missing or boot failed
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer chosen by andreutxi

Collapse -
One eprson in this forum did this
by orlbuckeye / July 31, 2013 10:35 PM PDT

the step:

1. Restart

2. Press F2

3. Go to "Boot"

4. In Boot mode, select "Legacy Support"

Collapse -
thanks
by andreutxi / August 1, 2013 2:35 AM PDT

I tried this before asking here... didn't work.

The computer is now at the Lenovo Service Center waiting to be repaired.

They told me it is a defective hard drive. I will let you guys know the actual veredict after they fix it.

Thanks tons!

Collapse -
thank for advise
by Kokoe72 / December 4, 2013 9:46 PM PST

thank you
bro

Collapse -
Answer
Sounds like a clear warranty issue.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 23, 2013 12:24 AM PDT

And if they walk you through a repair procedure, BONUS VALUE as you get a free lesson about recovery on this in the future. As the laptop recovery systems change or this could be a failed HDD (I don't suspect any used actions such as BIOS changes or a dropped laptop) I'm going with call it in now OR if days old, arrange for return and exchange as a dead on arrival.
Bob

Collapse -
thanks
by andreutxi / August 1, 2013 2:32 AM PDT

As you can see,

Lenovo G480 (2184,20149)
Lenovo G580 (2189,20150)
Lenovo G780
IdeaPad N580
IdeaPad N581
IdeaPad P580

this doesn't apply to my computer. Thanks anyway. Happy

Collapse -
Sorry
by andreutxi / August 1, 2013 5:20 AM PDT
In reply to: thanks

Oh, sorry... I thought I had posted which model my computer was!!!! My mistake!

Collapse -
The same problem
by elcomptemp / December 31, 2013 3:42 AM PST
In reply to: Sorry

Hi

I have exactly the same problem. Can you let me know what happened to your laptop when you sent it over to Lenovo center. What was the problem?

Collapse -
Answer
TRY THIS
by MIDNITE14 / October 6, 2013 1:03 PM PDT

PLEASE READ THIS ENTIRE SEGMENT BEFORE DOING ANYTHING ELSE AS YOU MAY NOT NEED TO DO ALL THE STEPS THAT I DID,THANKS.
WELL I HAD THE SAME PROBLEM WHEN I USED A PROGRAM TO DELETE THE MULITIPILE PARTITIONS LIKE RECOVERY AND ALL THAT,WHAT I DID WAS TAKE THE HARD DRIVE OUT OF THE LAPTOP,AND HOOK IT UP IN A DESKTOP WHERE I COULD ACESS FILES THAT I NEEDED TO SAVE,THEN ONCE THOSE FILES WERE SAVED ,FORMATED THE HARD DRIVE,PLACED HARD DRIVE BACK INTO LAPTOP,THEN TURNED ON LAPTOP HELD DOWN F2 TO GO INTO SETUP AND THEN AT THE TOP OF SETUP SCREEN,YOU SEE INFORMATION,MAIN ETC.GO TO BOOT,AT TOP OF BOOT SCREEN YOU SHOULD SEE BOOT MODE,CHANGE THAT TO LEGACY,THEN CHANGE YOUR BOOT ORDER PLACING WHATEVER MEANS THAT YOU WILL REINSTALL,REPAIR OR WHATEVER FROM FIRST.I CHOSE USB FDD OR USB HDD BECAUSE I WAS LOADING WINDOWS 7 FROM A USB FLASH DRIVE BECAUSE I HAD NO OPTICAL DRIVE,NOW IF YOU DONT WANT TO TAKE YOUR HARD DRIVE OUT AND FORMAT IT ETC OR WOULD JUST LIKE TO REPAIR IT EITHER WAY,THEN TRY SKIPPING TO THE 2ND STEP WHICH IS PRESSING F2 GOING INTO BIOS ETC,I DONT KNOW IF THIS WILL HELP REPAIR IT OR NOT BECAUSE I WAS ATTEMPTING A FRESH INSTALL OF WINDOWS 7 FROM 8,BUT CHANGING THE BOOT MODE TO LEGACY FROM UFEI OR W/E IT SAYS SHOULD HELP OUT A LOT.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!