TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Decisions..Sony KDS-R60XBR1 or Samsung HL-R7178W... Prices

by June2K6 / April 11, 2006 9:11 AM PDT

So, I need some advice...

I can get the Sony for about 4150 with a 3 year warranty... or I can get the Samsung for about 4500 with a 5 year warranty... The Samsung is online the Sony is from a local retailer... any opinions since I obviously can't make up my own mind for myself?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Decisions..Sony KDS-R60XBR1 or Samsung HL-R7178W... Prices
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Decisions..Sony KDS-R60XBR1 or Samsung HL-R7178W... Prices
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
My vote goes to...
by kena10 / April 11, 2006 5:31 PM PDT

The KDS-R60XBR1. I have it, and love it. The other favorable point to make with regards to whether to buy it locally or online would be to buy it locally.

When and if you have a problem with the samsumg, who will you call? If you have a problem with the Sony, you can always go back to the store.

Furthermore, if the store is a well known retailer, chances are, they will take care of you better.

Collapse -
Good points...
by June2K6 / April 12, 2006 3:21 AM PDT
In reply to: My vote goes to...

All very valid points... Think I'm leaning that way =)

Collapse -
4150?
by masterying01 / April 11, 2006 6:07 PM PDT

is that just the tv and 3 year service plan and doesnt include tax? sounds like you can get a little better deal on it. but thats depending on whats involved with the "package pricing".

Collapse -
Yuppers, new...
by June2K6 / April 12, 2006 3:20 AM PDT
In reply to: 4150?

Yea, it's a new set from a chain store. I spend a lot of money on DVD's there and a lot of the employees know me. Heck, the District Manager knows me lol... So, I walked in and talked to the manager and he said he'd give it to me for 3500.. with tax and the service plan it comes out to about 4200 (The plan is 4 year, not 3, my bad!).

Collapse -
ok, so its at best buy?
by masterying01 / April 12, 2006 5:43 AM PDT
In reply to: Yuppers, new...

haha. yea, $3500 is pretty much the lowest most best buys are willing to go on that set. so its a great deal.

Collapse -
Hey there goes my profit.
by gabereyes / April 12, 2006 10:25 AM PDT

HaHa Ive really never went that low, but It werth a shot, who knows slow day and not hitting budet, maybe.

Collapse -
lol, we went that low ONCE
by masterying01 / April 12, 2006 11:34 AM PDT

but thats cause the customer wanted the following:
1 50xbr1 sxrd
1 60xbr1 sxrd
1 40xbr lcd
3 quintet III
2 Klipsch SUB-10
1 Klipsch sub-12
2 htr-5860
1 htr-5890
3 installs including one premium onwall
cables
psp.

so ovbviously, with that much stuff...we'd get him a good deal. that made our day.

Collapse -
And the decision!
by June2K6 / April 13, 2006 2:38 AM PDT

Sooo, went with the Sony. 4995 with a new DVD Upconverting DVD, Stand, 4 year warranty and HDMI cable (those are expensive!)... tax included. The TV itself was 3500, couldn't coerce him into cutting me a deal on the rest though :)...

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) lol, at least you got a heart
by masterying01 / April 13, 2006 5:51 AM PDT
In reply to: And the decision!
Collapse -
Circuit City
by Larry Pigeon / April 12, 2006 9:59 AM PDT
In reply to: 4150?

Saw it (Sony 60 sxrd) today at Circuit for $3,750. Everwhere else it has been right at 4k or more. Talked to a young man there who was knowledgeable, interesting and not pushy. It was nice talking to a real person after learning some of the lingo on this forum. In the sound room they had the sxrd and whatever epuip including polk speakers playing the Eagles farewell tour dvd. I had the room to myself and clould have spent the afternoon there.

Collapse -
CONGRATULATIONS
by Riverledge / April 12, 2006 12:23 PM PDT
In reply to: Circuit City

THAT SONY is an excellent television.

river.

Collapse -
I agree
by kena10 / April 12, 2006 3:18 PM PDT
In reply to: CONGRATULATIONS

All I got to say is "DO IT, DO IT" LOL

That price is really good, considering I paid 3977 @ my local best buy after doing a 2nd price match, lol (I'm a cheap *******). So I think everything came up to be about 4500 with the service plan. The tv is so friggin awesome that one of my friends won't come to my house as much b/c he's envyous.

Collapse -
Samsung Is To Sony As.....
by RoadRunner6 / April 12, 2006 3:45 PM PDT

.....Hyundai is to Honda. Get it? Go with the Sony, no baloney.

(no backtalk from Hyundai owners please)

RR6

Collapse -
C ircuit City Sales rotate every 2 weeks
by Dan Filice / April 13, 2006 4:03 AM PDT

I track the Sunday newspaper inserts for Circuit City and all other places, and it seems that every two weeks Circuit City has a sale on their TVs (Sony included). Then, in two weeks, the price goes back to full retail. They time this with their 10 percent coupons that I get from them in the mail. The coupons are good only up to a certain day, and while the coupons are good, the TVs are at full retail. When the coupons expire, Circuit City drops the TV prices. They don't want anyone to use the coupon when the TVs are on sale.

Collapse -
Sony vs Samsung
by buddyluv / April 13, 2006 6:25 AM PDT

I have Sony 60XBR1 so I'm prejudice.But just to show you
other options J&R Music World NYC has Samsung 6768w for $2,700.00

Collapse -
Samsung.....
by kena10 / April 27, 2006 4:07 PM PDT
In reply to: Sony vs Samsung

They're POS's. 'Nuff said.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.