Laptops forum

General discussion

Decisions, Decisions

I have narrowed my laptop down to two possibilities, thank God - this is wearing me down - Dell or Toshiba.

First let me say this, I travel, a lot, and that is all this computer will be used for. I do not want to have to lug a lot of extras around either. I have a home network and so once there will access the computer via my desk. I have a heavy old Compaq and it wears you down lugging that, along with files and everything else you have to take on the road.

If I go Toshiba I have selected the Satellite M35-S456. Is this too big? It looks sweet in the store.

If I go with Dell I have narrowed it down to either the Inspiron 600m or the Latitude D600 (or is the 700m really the way to go). What is different about the Inspiron verus Latitude?

Whatever system I choose they will be built to almost identical specs.

The Toshiba is at Circuit City and comes loaded. My only concern is the speed (4200 rpm) of the hard drive. I can go much higher (and pay for it too) by building a system at Dell.

Also, Is there any difference if I build the system at Dell on the home & home office side versus the small business side?

Customer service is not a huge issue, but is Dell good or bad, from reading the reviews, I can't tell.

Your help is grealt appreciated. Thank you.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Decisions, Decisions
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Decisions, Decisions
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I have heard good things about Toshiba, and

In reply to: Decisions, Decisions

not so good things about Dell. I just got an A75-S226 and am, so far, quite pleased with it. It does not appear to have any issues with disk speed. It starts a LOT faster than my desktop.

Collapse -
Re: Decisions, Decisions

In reply to: Decisions, Decisions

I can't give you much more than a coin flip on those, but this input.

1. Toshiba is revamping its service so repairs happen in days rather than weeks. This will help them on many fronts.

2. For us, Dell has been just fine at the office. You will read more complaints just because there are more Dells out there.

Bob

Collapse -

In reply to: Re: Decisions, Decisions

If you get the Toshiba M35S456 retail that is a great machine -- it has the Trubrite LCD screen (similar to Sony) --- so make sure that you will not use it where harsh flourescent lights overhead or in front of the LCD would cause too much of a reflection.

It is $1999 list (has multiformat DVD burner) but it has been on sale at Best buy and Circuit City and Even Fry's electronics in the past month for $1850. You just missed 2 years free financing at Best buy for this price -- ended Saturday (back to school).

If you go to the Toshiba website they are offering 10% off any custom order notebook. You can customize it there for a 5400rpm hard drive if you want -- someone else was unsure if you could get the Trubrite LCD custom or not so check that.

This 15.4" widescreen is 6.2 pounds -- get at least the 715 Pentium M Dothan or above (double the L2 cache) -- not the 705 Pentium M.

Also, the Compaq X1000 series /HPZT3000 series is an excellent alternative ( I have one of these but almost bought Toshiba M35). It weighs 6.5 pounds. See X1000forums.com

Note, make sure you get 64mb video dedicated memory as it is not upgradeable (standard on M35S456)

Collapse -

In reply to: Re: Decisions, Decisions

The Toshiba M35S456 is listed at the $1850 sale price at the Circuit City website this week (1999-150 rebate) but it listed as out of stock for the online site. Check the store to see if they are honoring that pricing.

If you don't need the DVD burner (multiformat DVD + and DVD -) which costs $200 more than a CD-RW/DVD ROM unit that you can order on the custom order site then try pricing it out there -- but I am not sure if you can get the Trubrite LCD that way or not (but 10% off custom order notebooks online).

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

REVIEW

Sublime suburban chariot

High on style and technology, the 2019 Volvo XC90 is an incredibly satisfying everyday crossover.