Attention: The forums are currently placed on Read Only.

Thank you for visiting the CNET forums. Our site is currently undergoing some maintenance. During this period (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT,) you can read the forums content, however posting in the forum will not be available. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Video Games & Consoles forum

General discussion

Decision Time: Another PS3 or XBox Elite?

by rvn6869 / March 4, 2010 8:10 PM PST

My PS3 died after only 1.5 years. BS.

Background: I'm 62, a casual gamer that plays no more than a couple of hours a day. I don't abuse the consoles.

Choices: I bought a Panasonic BluRay player so I could at least watch BD movies now that the damn PS3 died. No one in my rural area wants to touch it, with the usual comment that "their not worth fixing" or they can't fix them. I don't want to give Sony another $149 for a repair fee because of their inferior product.

I'm looking at the XBox Elite, but wonder what the failure rate with the RROD is? Some posters on another board said that it's unlikely due to the new Jasper chip. Is that true?

Or, do I buy another PS3? I originally bought it due to the BluRay capability for BD movies, but don't need that feature now.

I'd like some opinions/suggestions on this, but not from cheerleaders from either camp.

Thanks for your unbiased opinions!

Discussion is locked
Collapse -
Same answer I always give
by Jimmy Greystone / March 5, 2010 12:58 AM PST

Same answer I always give when people ask this question: Look at the games. Which system has more games that you want to play? Whichever that is, that's your answer.

This is also why I tell people not to use their PS3 as a movie player, unless they use it as ONLY a movie player. The drive in the PS3 is unique, in that it's the ONLY one that can play PS3 games. Now that stand alone players are less than the PS3, if you want a movie player you should get a stand alone player, keep your PS3 for games.

On the Xbox side, the RRoD issue isn't completely eliminated, but it is significantly lessened by the Falcon and Jasper chipsets. But there are plenty of other issues with the 360 which don't get as much attention. Drives have been known to put deep gouges into game discs. Microsoft claims it's only if you shift orientation of the console when it's turned on, but plenty of people would disagree with that. There's the E74 error which Microsoft still has really refused to elaborate on. There's the issue I had, where the optical drive would just start dying. In my case, my first 360 lasted close to a year, then it might take me a half hour of trying before I could get it to read a game disc. Replacement 360 suffered the same fate within about 72 hours, but the third is still going strong for the little I've used it lately. There have also been reports of issues with the GPU on the 360 causing various artifacts on the screen.

If you play games online, Xbox Live is not free, PlayStation Network is (currently). The 360 allows you to install all games to the hard drive, the PS3 is a game by game system where some may have a "data install" option to improve loading times. Though the PS3 uses bluray discs for games, with vastly greater storage capacity, so fewer games are multi-disc. And PS3 game discs have a special coating on the data side that helps reduce scratches.

One of the things I like about the PS3 is that it uses fairly common components. You can easily swap out the hard drive for a larger one. The controllers use a standard Mini-USB cable to charge, it comes with 11g wireless, and you can connect external hard drives via USB to get additional storage for video and photos. The 360 requires you buy a special hard drive module from Microsoft, in sizes and prices they dictate. The cordless controllers use a proprietary connector for charging. Wireless costs extra, and is ridiculously expensive.

Of course all of this is really pretty irrelevant when it comes to THE GAMES. In your case, you probably have a bit of a library for the PS3 that you'd lose access to if you bought a 360. Most of the interesting games are out for both consoles. The 360 of course has Halo and Gears of War, but the PS3 has God of War, and a growing collection of PSX ports.

So, I'd say hit some game review sites, look at what games are exclusive to each platform, make a decision based on which has more you are interested in playing.

Collapse -
Xbox or PS3?
by rvn6869 / March 5, 2010 1:38 AM PST

Thanks, Jimmy, for a very detailed assessment. I appreciate it.

The ironic thing is that my limited edition Halo Xbox never had a problem and I gave it to my granddaughter last year with a load of games. It's still cranking along, albeit without HD, but hey, the graphics on the original Xbox were way ahead of their time.

I'm leaning again towards the Xbox Elite due to the large selection of games and the reduced chance of the RROD with the Jasper chip. But, I will buy an extended warranty this time.

Cheers!

Collapse -
The first Xbox
by Jimmy Greystone / March 5, 2010 2:25 AM PST
In reply to: Xbox or PS3?

The first Xbox was basically just a legacy free PC. The controller ports were just proprietary USB connectors, the CPU was a 733MHz Celeron, the GPU was a custom GeForce2 with some GeForce3 elements to it.

Most of the components for the original Xbox were off the shelf parts. With the 360, they made it into a more traditional console. Custom CPU from IBM, custom GPU from ATI, custom motherboard. And while there are countless theories on why the initial launch model was so defective, all the credible ones seem to center on Microsoft cutting corners to both keep costs down and be the first to market.

Sony isn't what they once were quality wise, but the PS3 has had a considerably lower failure rate. I just wish there'd be a shift back to cartridges, or loading games onto some kind of flash media. Optical drives just have a high failure rate no matter what. That's always going to be the weakest link in game consoles. Sooner or later the laser gives out, or the drive motor dies, the bearings seize up, the lens gets a film of crud on it, discs get scratched. It's just a poor choice IMO. I understand they're cheap, and easy to crank out, but they're a vastly inferior technical solution.

Collapse -
Games and online
by not2worried / March 5, 2010 2:38 AM PST

Like Jim said, Start by looking at games and go from there. If you plan to do online gaming ...
Easy to go Xbox
if not, then which system has the games you like.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!