TVs & Home Theaters forum

Question

Deciding on a 40" gaming/tv TV

by sirmooburger / January 19, 2015 6:29 AM PST

This is similar to http://forums.cnet.com/7723-7596_102-634684/deciding-on-new-tv/ but I didn't want to hijack that thread...

I'm in the market for a 40" gaming/tv TV (primarily console gaming and the movie watching will be streaming TV/video not bluray):
- 1080p
- don't care about 3D
- don't care about smart features (since a computer will be connected to it).
- ability to turn off soap opera effect on 120Hz units (to reduce input lag). I don't think I really care too much about 120Hz in general but I don't have any other monitors over 60hz so I was wondering whether 120Hz TV would make plugging a computer with a GTX 770 in any more decent.

I've narrowed it down to*:
Sony KDL40W600B: 34ms tested input lag, direct-lit backlight for great picture quality (best black uniformity of this list), 60Hz but motion blur compensation is iffy (it uses backlight strobing for this).: $450**

Samsung UN40H6350: 44ms tested input lag, good picture quality but cannot use motion blur compensation for gaming due to input lag (but it has less overall motiion blur), $534

Vizio E400i-B0: 30ms input lag, worse black and gray uniformity, $380 . I can get the 42" for $400

LG 42LB6300: 33ms input lag, IPS panel so great viewing angle but very poor contrast ratio, poor lit-room performance, washed out blacks in dark room, $500 (but 2 more inches than the Samsung).

* Reviews were taken from RTINGS
** Prices in USD from Amazon

I figure I should go to Best Buy or something and look at all of them and try out all the modes and color calibrations I would use. Since I'm planning this ahead of a console purchase, at the moment I'm not going to be able to bring in an xbox to plug it in (but I'd test computer performance by plugging in my hdmi-out android device). But before I go, any anecdotes out there by any current owners? TIA

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Deciding on a 40" gaming/tv TV
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Deciding on a 40" gaming/tv TV
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
No 120Hz over HDMI so far.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 19, 2015 6:45 AM PST

So no to that. The 120Hz will help a little in LCD response times but the HDMI input is still 60 today UNLESS you hunt down those gaming 120Hz displays.

Input lag is what most gamers go for and will sacrifice PQ. Why not a gaming display?
Bob

Collapse -
Thanks
by sirmooburger / January 19, 2015 7:12 AM PST

Thanks for your comments. The main reason not to with a gaming display is budget. A 40" gaming display would be double the price. Sounds like the Sony is winning out so far but I will have to evaluate its LED Motion mode.

Collapse -
When I want that info I use searches like that.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 19, 2015 7:32 AM PST
In reply to: Thanks
Collapse -
The W600B has no motion interpolation
by sirmooburger / January 19, 2015 8:10 AM PST

the W600B has no soap opera effect feature. I am trying to figure out if LED Motion (blur reduction) is any good. Some people complain that it makes the screen too dark and others complain about the backlight flickering with this mode. Without this feature, Sony's native blur is worse than Samsung's.

Collapse -
Yup.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 19, 2015 8:14 AM PST
Collapse -
PS. Cnet writes "I'd rather have a better looking image
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 19, 2015 9:42 AM PST
In reply to: Yup.
Collapse -
Understand, you have to choose
by Pepe7 / January 19, 2015 9:37 AM PST

Either you end up w/ an adequate gaming LED/LCD HDTV, but w/ muddled PQ. Dedicated gamers often opt to save their pennies for the better device that they need.

Collapse -
Answer
40" Gaming Screen
by LG_Electronics LG staff / January 20, 2015 4:43 AM PST

Simon,
Wouldn't you be better off with a Monitor rather than a TV as your gaming screen? The PPI for monitors is so much superior to that for TVs and this would be especially true for a screen that you will be that close to. Then the response time for monitors is far superior to that for TVs, especially when it comes to gaming. You have 21:9 Aspect ratio monitors that give a much wider field which is a much better gaming experience. Take a look at this link[http://www.lg.com/us/monitors] I just think that for better, more enriched gaming experience, you would be better off with monitors which also have much better response time than TV screens.^IV

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!