Laptops forum

General discussion

deciding between these two at similar $...

I can get these apparently similar notebooks for about the same price. I'm not exactly sure yet of all the uses so I tried to cover bases, {maybe a little video and picture editing, a little gaming, presentaions, dvd viewing, typical programs.)
I tried to highlight some differences and was hoping some one could maybe show me and others or benefits/drawbacks comparison for a novice like myself.thanks. Oh and I hope to throw my own better Ram sticks in later, and I know about grounding and such...touch metal, no carpet.

Compaq Presario R4000 customizable Notebook PC
PN495AV
? Microsoft(R) Windows(R) XP Home Edition with SP2
? AMD Athlon(TM) 64 3200+ (2.0GHz/512KB L2 Cache)
? 15.4" WXGA BrightView Widescreen (1280x800)
? 128MB ATI RADEON(R) XPRESS 200M w/Hypermemory(TM)
? 256MB DDR SDRAM (1x256MB)
? 60 GB 5400 RPM Hard Drive
? DVD+/-RW/R & CD-RW Combo w/Double Layer Support
? FREE Upgrade to 54g(TM) 802.11b/g WLAN w/125HSM!!
? 12 Cell Lithium Ion Battery
- 3-year HP Express Repair Extended Service Plan for HP Pavilion and Compaq Presario Notebook PCs

Inspiron 6000D
Intel

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: deciding between these two at similar $...
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: deciding between these two at similar $...
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Pentium M if you buy new notebook in 2 years-64 if upgrading

In reply to: deciding between these two at similar $...

The answer lies in how you will use the notebook.

For my use I would get the Dell 6000 Pentium M Centrino. The benefits of the Centrino are that it has longer battery life (likely 3.5-5 hours -- less time using wi-fi or playing a DVD -- more time with those turned off) it is lighter and uses less heat. The drawback is that is 32 bit -- no problem now but Windows Vista released in late 2006/early 2007 will be 64 bit.

The advantage of the AMD 64 notebook is that it is 64 bit, it has the most raw processing power (similar to the Pentium 4M which is obsolete due to the extreme heat in notebooks). However, the notebook will still have decreased battery life and it will be hotter and heavier than the Pentium M above.

My opinion is that you will get 2 years solid use out of the Pentium M on Windows XP and beyond but you would want to get a Windows Vista new notebook in about 2 years so don't overspend.

If you really were looking to upgrade the notebook you buy now to Windows Vista than buy the AMD 64. However, keep in mind that it will not be optimized for Vista in my opinion the Centrino is better for Windows XP now.

If battery life and heat are not considerations at all (you will leave it plugged in nearly all the time as a desktop replacement) get the AMD 64.

If travel weight, battery life and heat are considerations get the Pentium M.

You have a 128mb dedicated video card either way so that is not much of an issue ........

Collapse -
thanks

In reply to: Pentium M if you buy new notebook in 2 years-64 if upgrading

It'll be plugged in almost all the time, and it'll be at my front doorstep soon. The faster bus speed was a big selling point along with the light scribe burner. I'm stoked!!! thanks

Collapse -
Both very good but...

In reply to: deciding between these two at similar $...

I didn't know the Dell 6000d came with 5200rpm hard drive, hmmm. There are countless discussions on this site (mostly started by I) regarding the 6000 and 6000d.

You say that you will be doing some picture editiing and gaming. If you plan to use the 6000d on battery power appose to A/C power then note that the display will dim considoribly. A drawback of the Samsung LCD used by Dell on this particular model. This reason is the only reason keeping me from making my Dell purchase. (Refer to my post of "Which LCD").

I do not know much about the Compaq but I have heard good things about that line.

Processor wise, and components, the 6000d is great. It has the new third Generation Sonoma technology as well 128MB ATi dedicated graphics which is a must of high-end photo editing, video manipulation and gaming. I've learned much of this by reading others reviews and comments from very helpful individuals in this forum.

Do you plan to take this laptop around a lot? (Daily basis ect).

Goodluck
- Mo

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Enter to win* a free holiday tech gift!

CNET's giving five lucky winners the gift of their choice valued up to $250!