Samsung forum

General discussion

DECEPTIVE ADVERTISING BY SAMSUNG

by waldwolf / September 28, 2009 1:35 AM PDT

Samsung (and other manufacturers) have been advertising many of their HDTV's as LED (Light Emitting Diode) TV's. This is a pure and simple falsehood, designed to confuse the buying public.

ALL of these recently introduced Samsung LED TV (such as advertised above) are in fact LCD (Liquid Crystal Diode) TV's which use LED's for backlighting vs. the CCFL (Cold Cathode Fluorescent Lighting) used in most current and older flat panel TV's and laptop computer screens.

True LED displays are those you often see at oudoor sporting events, concerts, etc. The picture are LED's themselves. Several Cell phone manufacturers have models with OLED (Organic Light Emitting Diode) screens which are bright and clearly visible in direct sunlight. The new Microsoft DUNE-HD utilizes an OLED screen as does a $3000.00 Sony 11" OLED-TV introduced about 1 year ago.

Here is a quote from Wikipedea:
"LED-backlit LCD television or LED TV (term used by Samsung Electronics, Toshiba, Philips, and LG Electronics) is an LCD TV that uses LED backlighting.[1] LED's are used for backlighting, instead of fluorescent lights. The term LED TV is disputed and the complaint is that the display is not composed of 100% LEDs and so should not be called LED TV.". REF: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LED-backlit_LCD_television

Don't be fooled by manufacturer's claims, which are designed to confuse the public and seperate you from your hard earned money.

CCFL lamps have a life averaging 60,000 hours and LED's about 70,000 hours. Light output from both slowly fades, with their light output half-life both being 30,000-35,000 hours.

In my opinion, Samsung's 2x and 3x additional charge for an LED backlit TV vs. same sized CCFL backlit units, is "highway robbery".

Read and become informed. LED backlit HDTV's exhibit problems not seen in CCFL backlit HDTV's.

New is not always better......just more expensive.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: DECEPTIVE ADVERTISING BY SAMSUNG
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: DECEPTIVE ADVERTISING BY SAMSUNG
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
wait for it
by spanthegnome / September 28, 2009 4:25 AM PDT

There is it is "MY CAREFACE!" Why did you need to post this? No one cares. All new products cost more..deal with it.

Collapse -
In reply:
by waldwolf / September 28, 2009 5:35 AM PDT
In reply to: wait for it

spanthegnome - Some people do care when they are mislead. I suspect you might "care" if, for example, someone put a Ford engine in your new Bentley and sold it to you as a Rolls Royce.

Some people want to learn and not rely on deceptive advertising.

PS - Samsung is under investigation by the U.S. Government for advertising stating certain of their LCD-TV's are LED-TV's, plus several other deceptive practices.

Collapse -
Really now
by spanthegnome / September 28, 2009 5:47 AM PDT
In reply to: In reply:

Only thing i've seen them being investigated on is Flash memory patents.

Collapse -
another one
by timeiswaiting / September 28, 2009 11:01 AM PDT
In reply to: Really now

It just keeps on piling and piling. My gawd!
Wake up Sleeping Giant (SAMSUNG)!!!

Collapse -
Surprise, surprise
by waldwolf / October 4, 2009 10:24 AM PDT
In reply to: Really now

spanthegnome -
If it were permitted, I'd post details of MY formal complaint, which is now under investigation by the U.S. Government.

In due time, you'll read about it.

Collapse -
walford
by timeiswaiting / October 4, 2009 10:35 AM PDT
In reply to: Surprise, surprise

please tell us when the info is available!!

Collapse -
@waldwolf
by NOBLEBOBOY / October 4, 2009 11:03 AM PDT

I agree with you sir. DECEPTION equates to MORE PROFIT which is a form of ROBBERY. Some people really do not mind wether they are being deceived or not. Perhaps they have so much money to spend that is why they do not give a damn. But for the vast majority who work so hard to earn a living, they do care. Look what happened to our situation now. These are the evil works of a few GREEDY men ( creatures ). All these manufacturers have been doing is to justify there expenses on reearch for their overpriced products.

Collapse -
Who Will Be Next............?
by waldwolf / October 4, 2009 1:20 PM PDT
In reply to: @waldwolf

Samsung calls their LCD HDTV's which have a LED backlight vs. a CCFD (Cold Cathode Flourcent Display) backlight, a LED-TV.

I wonder when Sony, Toshiba, Visio, and the others, who use LED's to light-up their names on the TV's front panel, will start calling their TV's LCD-TV's. LG (Lucky Goldstar) recently joined that group.

By the way....remember the name Goldstar....the "really cheap" tv sets from years ago? What a difference a name change makes. They now call themselves LG and charge premium prices.

DON'T BE MISLED. Investigate before you invest.

Collapse -
Sony's Edge-lit
by timeiswaiting / October 4, 2009 1:28 PM PDT

Sony has the new XBR10 Edge-lit LED set.
Sony does tell the consumers that it's edge-lit, so we can trust Sony on this one. I'm loving Sony all over again!!!

Collapse -
Sony's Edge-Lit
by waldwolf / October 5, 2009 2:28 AM PDT
In reply to: Sony's Edge-lit

"...so we can trust Sony on this one...."

As someone once said, "Trust, but verify".

Collapse -
Sounds like..
by spanthegnome / October 5, 2009 2:45 AM PDT
In reply to: Sony's Edge-Lit

Sounds like consumers arent doing any real homework when buying a tv. Cause if you had you would have known.

Collapse -
Sounds Like.....
by waldwolf / October 5, 2009 7:47 AM PDT
In reply to: Sounds like..

:Sounds like consumers arent doing any real homework when buying a tv. Cause if you had you would have known."

Let me cite you one example. On (at least) one mode of Samsung LCD HDTV, there is printed on both the front, back and side panels the statement:

"1 year In-Home Service Warranty that including Parts & Labor"

The Warranty contained inside the box states that the warranty is 1 year, but "Carry-In" service.

Now...how many retailers will allow you unseal and open the box the TV came in and allow you to locate and read the manufacturers warranty statement?

Now, you might say "Go to the manufacturers website and read their warranty policy. Good thinking.....except in the case of Samsung, the online warranty the had posted about a month ago, had major differences, compared to that which was included with the TV documents.

In a similar situation, a few months when I first started looking for a new TV, I visited Best Buy. I saw a 32 inch LCD HDTV which had printed on the box:

"2 Year In-Home Service Warranty. If the technician cannot repair the TV in your home, and it needs to be taken to the shop for repair, you will be provided with a free loaner TV."

On the card where the price was shown, was also the statement: "Copy of manufacturers warranty available upon request.".

I asked the salesperson for a copy of the warranty statement, and after hunting around for about 20 minutes, he finally went online to that TV manufacturers website, located and printed a copy of the warranty they had posted on their website.

To make a long story short.....the printed warranty made no mention of a 2 year in-home service warranty, no loaner and further, it stated the warranty was 1 year.

Sometimes homework pays off, sometimes it doesn't. When was the last time you asked a salesman for a copy of a manufacturers warranty? Was it the last time you bought that candy bar? Or that can of soda?

Collapse -
False advertising? eh, mabey.
by warrior 119 / November 20, 2009 1:58 AM PST

I honestly do not understand why this is a big deal. It isn't as if they are telling you that the TV is 1080p when it is actually 720p. All they are doing is advertising in a way that the average consumer is capable of understanding. There is absolutely no harm in calling their TVs "LED." In fact it would be a worse situation to have them as actual LED TVs because the technology is simply not there yet, we would end up with something ridiculous like a 37 inch 102X72 pixel display or a $60,000 OLED display. A class action lawsuit against this for false advertising simply seems like a way to get money to me.

Collapse -
LCD
by CrotalusHH / November 20, 2009 5:58 AM PST

If you are so smart, how come you don't know that it is a Liquid Crystal _Display_.

There's no such thing as a liquid crystal diode.

Everyone calls those TV's LED. Samsung is just following the pack.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.