Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Debater vs. Leader

by Evie / October 6, 2004 10:18 PM PDT

An excellent Larry Elder editorial.

Debater versus leader

Polls show President Bush lost the first debate against Democratic presidential contender John Kerry. Why? Bush failed to respond to Kerry's assertions.

Let's deal with them....

Evie Happy

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Debater vs. Leader
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Debater vs. Leader
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Huh ?
by Mac McMullen / October 6, 2004 10:29 PM PDT
In reply to: Debater vs. Leader

From what I read from the scorekeepers, Kerry won only
on the debater points, not the debate. Bush won on
every other contest factor.

If those polls were correct, the American voter is fully
aware of the difference between a debater and trustworthy
leader, and will express themselves on Nov 2.

Collapse -
Re: Huh ?
by Evie / October 6, 2004 10:36 PM PDT
In reply to: Huh ?

Hi Del,

I wish I could remember who wrote it but there was a rather funny recap of the media frenzy about Kerry "winning" the debate. It went something like this: immediately post-debate the pundits gave a slight edge on style to Kerry but mostly there was no slam dunk ... then Kerry won but not by enough to change the dynamic of the race ... to eventually Lincoln and Douglas beat the crap out of Elmer Fudd.

Bush has the facts on his side, and in the end I think the American people will vote for a leader not a waffler.

Evie Happy

Collapse -
Re: Debater vs. Leader
by Dave Konkel [Moderator] / October 6, 2004 10:30 PM PDT
In reply to: Debater vs. Leader

Nonsense, Evie. Bush lost the debate for the same reason his Dad did -- he was shown to be unengaged, and out of touch with reality. His continual ostrich-like behavior is finally becoming clear even to those not paying much attention.

-- Dave K, Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email semods4@yahoo.com

The opinions expressed above are my own,
and do not necessarily reflect those of CNET!

Collapse -
Yeah, Evie..........
by Mac McMullen / October 6, 2004 11:59 PM PDT
In reply to: Re: Debater vs. Leader

Now you listen to Dave, he has a way with numbers and analysis.

Here's what he was working with, so give him some slack, numbers can be confusing:

On debate performance Kerry wins 53 percent to 37 percent. However, as to who would better handle the situation in Iraq, Bush wins 54 to 43. Who do these voters trust more to handle the responsibilities of commander-in-chief? Bush 54, Kerry 44. Who?s more believable? Bush 50, Kerry 45. More likable? Bush 48, Kerry 41. And the grand whopper ? Who is tough enough for the job? Bush 54, Kerry 37.

Collapse -
Yep, which is why I said Bush won the debate...
by Dragon / October 7, 2004 11:27 AM PDT
In reply to: Yeah, Evie..........

I think most people can differentiate between style and substance.

Collapse -
Re: Yeah, Evie... It's a matter of momentum, Del.
by Dave Konkel [Moderator] / October 7, 2004 10:41 PM PDT
In reply to: Yeah, Evie..........

Iraq is the ONLY issue where Bush leads Kerry -- the public agrees more with Kerry on issues like the economy, stem cell research, and whether the nation's headed in the right direction. Even among Bush voters, a majority want a second term different from the first in tone (fat chance of that!) You cited "However, as to who would better handle the situation in Iraq, Bush wins 54 to 43." Point is, before that debate the margin was much larger (abot 20 points, AIR) -- the momentum is going Kerry's way.

-- Dave K, Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email semods4@yahoo.com

The opinions expressed above are my own,
and do not necessarily reflect those of CNET!

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Didn't read the editorial did you?
by Evie / October 7, 2004 11:40 PM PDT
Collapse -
It's becoming quite clear why you accept the
by Kiddpeat / October 7, 2004 6:07 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: Debater vs. Leader

theory of evolution. It's never reality or evidence, but seeing the world through a bias.

Collapse -
Re: It's becoming quite clear why you accept the
by Dan McC / October 7, 2004 6:12 AM PDT

Could you explain that, please? I'm not sure what you mean.

Thanks,

Dan

Collapse -
not to get into a debate on _this_ string, about evol...
by Dragon / October 7, 2004 11:30 AM PDT

...but the facts argue otherwise.

Maybe next time we get started on that, I can steer you straight. Wink

Collapse -
Dave doesn't accept the Theory...
by Edward ODaniel / October 8, 2004 5:08 AM PDT

of Evolution, he has already stated clearly that he accepts it as proven and thus fact rather than theory.

Does make one wonder about thought processes doesn't it. (Or rather it tends to EXPLAIN their distortions.)

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!