Speakeasy forum

Resolved Question

Death of Newspapers. How will it change us?

by James Denison / April 21, 2011 3:45 AM PDT
James Denison has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Death of Newspapers. How will it change us?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Death of Newspapers. How will it change us?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
For me, not at all.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / April 21, 2011 6:03 AM PDT

{Note, i used the Clarification request option to reply, otherwise there would only be 2 replies}.

I stopped buying daily and week-end newspapers in the early 90s. I was disillusioned with the way they became politically polarised and supported one party. Then in the mid-90's Robert Maxwell, the owner of the Mirror Group here raided his employee's pension funds for to prop up his ailing business. He disappeared off a yacht a short while later and was never found.

Then of course, Rupert Murdoch. A staunch Labour supporter with Tony Blair from the general election in 97, now a staunch supporter of the current Conservative party. And also now on course to take over the world.

What happened to just News and unbiased comment?

Mark

Collapse -
just the local for me
by James Denison / April 22, 2011 5:03 AM PDT
In reply to: For me, not at all.

I don't get the Baltimore Sun or Washington DC papers. They are too big and I'd rather get news from TV or internet. Of course there's other stuff in the papers, but the only thing I'd be interested is the more local to me stuff.

I think I'll not use this question format again if only 2 replies can be used.

All Answers

Best Answer chosen by James Denison

Collapse -
No loss here
by C1ay / April 21, 2011 3:51 PM PDT

I can't believe they're still afloat financially. I haven't paid for a newspaper since the mid 90s.

Collapse -
If there is mercy
by James Denison / April 22, 2011 5:08 AM PDT
In reply to: No loss here

This question format will die the death!

Collapse -
Answer
It will change my life in the summer
by Steven Haninger / April 21, 2011 6:52 AM PDT

I'll need to find a new way to light the charcoal on my trusty old Weber kettle BBQ.

Collapse -
use mail
by James Denison / April 21, 2011 9:31 AM PDT

I run my crap mail through a shredder and there's plenty of it to fire up a grill each week.

Collapse -
Steven, James
by C1ay / April 21, 2011 3:50 PM PDT

Wow, thread depth goes quick on 'Question' threads...

Collapse -
Answer
Clay
by James Denison / April 22, 2011 5:06 AM PDT
James,Take all that junk mail and shove it in some of those postage paid return envelopes they send out with some of it.

LOL, I've done that before, but the ones that really get me are the ones with the plastic fake credit cards in them. It forces you to open and remove that before putting through the shredder. I've been tempted to send them junk back, but since they usually have access to credit reporting agencies, don't need the grief if one of them took exception and filed a bogus matter with one of those agencies.
Collapse -
Answer
Reply about the question format
by Steven Haninger / April 22, 2011 5:34 AM PDT

since I cannot reply directly. I think this option has some potential to be useful. Perhaps the best uses haven't been found. As well, one who selects this post type may not know to expect the conversation limit. It's something new and members are not yet accustomed to all of the features dropped all at once.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.