General discussion

Dear Lord, please give St. Augustine of Hippo credit for my

chastity and constancy of the last number of years. They seem to have done me little good.

Rob

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Dear Lord, please give St. Augustine of Hippo credit for my
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Dear Lord, please give St. Augustine of Hippo credit for my
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Dear Lord, please give St. Augustine of Hippo credit
- Collapse -
(NT) Sorry, Jonah, I've missed that one. RTB
- Collapse -
If it's a British beer, then the credit may go to St.

Augustine of Canterbury who founded the English Catholic Church around 598 AC. Less than 200 years separate the two, though Hippo Regius was in north Africa. ?Tunisia, Libya? Something like that.

Rob

- Collapse -
any beer wil do

Augustine (of Hippo)was canonized by popular acclaim, and later
recognized as a Doctor of the Church in 1298 by Pope Boniface VIII.
His feast day is August 28, the day on which he died. He is
considered the patron saint of brewers
, printers, theologians,
sore eyes, and a number of cities and dioceses.

Augustine was born in the city of Thagaste,
the present day Souk Ahras, Algeria,

- Collapse -
He would deserve it

Augustine was a mass of sexual conflicts wrapped up in a predetermined state of sin, as he might see it. Freud would have loved him, since Augustine was just Freud with a religious bent. He mislead the Catholic church on original sin, (sinner from the day of birth) celibacy, forbidding of marriages,(called a demon doctrine in the bible) rejection of literal biblical interpretation in favor of allegory, placed Science ahead of God's Word, (even though Science today is different than the Science of his day, it changing but God's Word being eternal), pushed a doctrine of predetermination, infant baptism since those little sinners needed saving, even though Paul taught that at least the children of believers were already clean. He was a very conflicted individual. I wonder what happened to his son by the woman he first loved, then called concubine and rejected her?

- Collapse -
Thank you James for expressing my deeper feelings about him.

I was guilty of being glib and sorry for myself at that moment.

Rob

CNET Forums

Forum Info