Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Dear Bob

by Amos16 / February 8, 2005 5:49 PM PST

I did all the hardware tasks that you and someone else suggested (re: Booting impossible). All the cables and pins are intact. I exchanged the drive for my spare one. The result was exactly the same. Which brings me back to suspect that it must be a software problem. Moreover, I completely cleaned the D: partition where the 98SE was in residence, i.e. I formatted it. That is when the diskette drive started asking to "please insert a diskette" although there was a booting diskette in it. Also, despite the formatting (which should have erased all traces of the 98? - or not?), when I start the computer, it still asks me if I want to boot into the 98 or the XP. If I say 98, it tells me that several programs are missing, and then gives me the C:> sign. It cannot be followed through, though, because there is no DOS now. So what say you - BIOS problem? Where, and how to tackle it? I am getting quite lost. Amos.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Dear Bob
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Dear Bob
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
If you can get to the A: prompt again
by TONI H / February 8, 2005 8:32 PM PST
In reply to: Dear Bob

immediately type DIR and see if any files show up in the list. Don't type in a drive letter after DIR...just type DIR and press Enter.

I am suspecting that when you formatted the drive, you forgot the drive letter of C: and actually formatted the floppy disk and erased it.

If you change to the C: drive (or it does it automatically for you), type DIR W/P and see if any files show up for that drive letter. If any do, you didn't format your boot drive like you thought.

If I'm right, you will need to make a new bootdisk in order to install Windows.

TONI

Collapse -
Keep all your posts about one
by TONI H / February 8, 2005 8:35 PM PST

subject confined to one thread only. It's too confusing to people trying to help you to have to bounce from one thread to another. All you have to do is click REPLY (even if it's to one of your own posts because you remembered more info to give) and the new post will appear under the same thread of your problem.

TONI

Collapse -
Dear Bob
by Amos16 / February 9, 2005 12:08 AM PST

Hi Toni - sorry about bringing up new subect lines; I thought that having a discussion of maybe twenty or more pieces would be too cumbersome. Your answer took me to a number of surprises: unlike you, I had XP and 98SE on the same computer, as a double boot. The 98SE got stuck when I upgraded the computer, so I decided to remove it and then possibly reinstate it. I do have two boot diskettes for the 98, one for XP and various rescue diskettes for NAV and other applications... Now when I tried to follow your instructions, from the command prompt it told me "Volume in Drive C is ROOTXP" and the "Directory of C:\ File not found". But when I rebooted, the C:\> appeared under "Windows 98" (which I thought had gone) and DIR brought the whole XP directory to the monitor. It had three new entries, dated the day and time of my formatting D: Bootsect.Dos, Config.sys and Autoexec.bat. However, then I tried D:\ and found that the whole 98SE directory was still there. It did not show up when I entered D through "My Computer" on the XP, but there it was, including Windows, with subd'd System, System 32 and the lot. I am now in the process of deleting them manually; if I want them I have the original disk. Attempts to get to A: failed. On typing DIR in the command prompt, the reply was "the device is not ready" and from the new DOS (arrived at through "Windows98" on booting), the result was "Not ready reading drive A / Abort, Retry, Fail?". So now I am working on deleting the 98SE, and hopefully you can give me guidance regarding A: when I rejoin the forum. Thanks. Amos.

Collapse -
Something you need to know about dual boot
by TONI H / February 9, 2005 1:04 AM PST

Once you have XP on the system, you won't be able to reinstall W98 to a D: drive......windows itself won't let the operating system be anywhere except on the C: drive for W98. Evidently you had W98 on the system first and then installed XP as a separate installation in order to have a dual boot rather than install XP over the top of and replace W98. XP easily can go to any partition or even create one for itself and be able to see and read FAT32 drives. It doesn't work in reverse....FAT32 can't read NTFS drives and if your XP has been created with NTFS, installing W98 won't let you see it, and there will be no dual boot.

Your DIR indicates that XP is on the C: drive and W98 is on D so the only way you will get a dual boot again now is to start all over again, beginning with putting W98 on the C: and XP on the D....

I would assume, perhaps incorrectly, that your 'command' prompt was from the XP command prompt and not actually in a dos prompt using a bootdisk since you say you can't get the A: prompt to work. I would again assume, that this is because your BIOS has been set to boot in the following order: CDROM, C, A and it is getting to the C long before it gets to an A:

As for the A: not working, does it actually work if you go into the desktop and My Computer? I'm taking a shot at the fact that you can get to the XP desktop...If you were talking about being at a true dos prompt, how did you get there if not through a bootdisk? And if so, can you read ANY floppy disks or are you getting that error of 'drive not ready' for ALL floppy disks and not just the bootdisk you tried?

TONI

Collapse -
Re: DUAL BOOT
by Amos16 / February 9, 2005 1:57 AM PST

Hi Toni - In fact, I did originally install WIN98 on D:, and then installed XP on C:. The "command prompt" was from the XP, but now when I choose WIN98 from the dual-boot lines, I get a proper DOS command prompt which reads C:\>, and which lets me access all the DOS files that are on the computer. I also know a way to install WIN98 after installing XP, a chap called Petri has a site that explains how it is done. I face two problems at present: one, that no diskette at all triggers the A: drive, although all the diagnostic tools tell me that it is working properly. I tested the diskettes on a friend's computer and they all work. Two: The Windows part (icons) shows properly that I have 7 drives, while the DOS part (prompts) shows I have 8, two of which purport to be WIN98, both empty (the one I just razed and another, possibly virtual one, that was created when I inserted WIN98 again after running into trouble following the upgrading). I have since removed it, but the extra partition is still there. I wanted to install it on D:, where it was initially, but it left D: alone, and went to E:, moving all the others one letter forward. By the way, I have FAT32 and not NTFS, since I was aware of the problem. The XP part still works splendidly, including desktop and all, also IE6 which is used in writing this. Any suggestions how to square this circle? Amos.

Collapse -
Re Re: Dual Boot
by Amos16 / February 9, 2005 2:10 AM PST

Another way I just tried: changing the boot sequence in the BIOS so that the floppy goes first. The machine just ignored it and booted from the hard disk. I tried both a booting diskette and a non-system diskette which should have elicited the "non-system disk, insert system disk and press Enter" response. Amos.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!