Phones forum

Question

Dealing with a lost cellphone

by TheKTC / July 25, 2013 4:04 PM PDT

Hello everyone,

So, this past weekend I was having a little too much fun during some post-wedding festivities and my cellphone (a Galaxy Nexus) didn't make it back with me. It's lost or stolen or both.

I've already received my replacement and am moving on in that sense. My question is: Should I be doing anything else besides changing my passwords for accounts I had been accessing through the phone? Is there anything else I can do? Thanks for your time.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Dealing with a lost cellphone
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Dealing with a lost cellphone
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
That's really about it, with one additional option
by Pepe7 / July 26, 2013 12:06 AM PDT

As long as your account is correctly provisioned to a new device or new SIM (depending on which carrier/technology you are using), you should be good to go. Hopefully you had your photos, etc. backed up elsewhere(?)

Sometimes there is still other personal information still accessible on the stolen device though. For this reason I would consider also sending out a brief email to your important contacts that your device was stolen and that any important messages would be best verified with you via phone or in person if possible. Especially if you conduct any business w/ your handset, etc.

Collapse -
Answer
Dealing with a Lost CellPhone (ShutDown The old Number)
by SyxDal / July 27, 2013 9:13 AM PDT

Hi, I too recently had a Phone Stolen. I contacted my Server (I WireLess) and told them of my Situation. They told me "For 30 Dollars you can cancel the Old Number. But we have a Special going where you can get a New Number (and Sim Chip), New Phone, and 30 Days of Talk/Text and Web for $29.99."
Money being an Issue for me I took the Deal! Yah it's a cheap phone, (with FM Radio too!) but to me it was worth it. I would have had to pay 30 to Cancel, 42 bucks for 30 Days Talk, no text or Web, so in that sense it would be smarter for Me to take theDeal.
I asked about the old number and any activity on it recently and they said the time I had on it, (30 Days) was expired a few days before this, and there has been no new time bought for it. This was all maybe a month ago, and a couple days ago I checked on it again and No new time has been put on that old number so......
In short, I would be sure to cancel the old number.
Hope all works out for You, Later, Syx.

Collapse -
But that really doesn't help the OP
by Pepe7 / July 28, 2013 6:59 AM PDT

Iwireless is a T-Mobile MVNO only available in three US states. Not to mention, of the larger carriers, T-Mo has the worst coverage outside of urban areas. So even if you could take the phone along to T-Mo proper, not only might it not work (very likely it won't), but if you wanted to use it with ATT you couldn't since it often has different frequency bands.

Knowing the OP's carrier would be the first task Happy

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.