HolidayBuyer's Guide

TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

DEAL or NO DEAL - Philips Plasma 42PF7320A

by hlc216 / January 29, 2006 10:17 PM PST

Circuit City has a the Philips 42" Plasma HDTV (42PF7320A)on sale for $1900 but it is out of stock. Sears is selling the same model for the same price.

Is this a good deal? How is it compared to the Panasonic 42" Plasma EDTV (TH-42PD50U)?

The Philips has HDTV and the Panasonic is only EDTV. But I have a coupon for the Panasonic at Circuit City and can get it for $1800. The reviews are better for the Panasonic.

Sooooooooooo....DEAL or NO DEAL for the Philips???

I need help.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: DEAL or NO DEAL - Philips Plasma 42PF7320A
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: DEAL or NO DEAL - Philips Plasma 42PF7320A
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I'm Confused By Your Post? Are You Confused Too?
by RoadRunner6 / January 30, 2006 12:37 AM PST

On the 23rd you started a thread that said that you had just bought a Panasonic 42" EDTV at CC for $1800. Is this a flashback or do you just have beginning alzheimers?

RR6

Collapse -
Very Observent and YES...I am confused
by hlc216 / January 30, 2006 1:07 AM PST

You are correct about the previous post. Now here is the whole story that was too lengthy to post on my initial question.

I bought the Panasonic EDTV at a CC. I went to pick it up at CC in the great state of Delaware where they do not charge sales tax. (I live in PA btw about a 45 min. drive to save $126)

I brought the TV home but have to keep it in the box because my entertainment center will only get delivered on Wednesday of this week.

While hanging around the house on Sunday I went to CC web site and saw the Philips on sale for $1900. I went to CC and bought it but have to go to a different CC in PA (Delaware is out of stock) to pick it up. I wanted to put a claim on the Philips before it was sold. I was going do my research later and decided if I want to return the Panasonic and pick up the Philips...or....Keep the Panasonic and just have the Philips charge taken off my credit card.

Currently I am the proud owner of two plasma TV?s. (I hope you are still with me)

Now what should I do? The Panasonic has great reviews and in the end will be $214 dollars cheaper than the Philips. The Philips' reviews are not that great but it is an HDTV for only $214 more the than the Panasonic EDTV.

I have Dish Network and do not plan to upgrade to HDTV for awhile.

Do you see my dilemma? Any words of advice besides wise cracking jokes..lol.............

Collapse -
Here's My Two Cents
by RoadRunner6 / January 30, 2006 7:20 AM PST

Sorry, couldn't resist the memory joke. My wife is always asking me if my mind is going? I'm 13 years older than she and over 60. I'm glad you understood that I was jabbing you.

I would vote for the Panasonic EDTV. I have two EDTV's and like both of them very much, JVC and Panasonic. I think you will actually get a better picture with the Panasonic EDTV than the Philips HDTV on both standard TV signals and also on DVD's (be sure you have a progressive scan DVD player).

You will get a slightly better picture on the Philips on HDTV signals. However, you will find that when you feed the Panny with HDTV signals you will get a surprisingly great picture. When I bought my JVC I viewed it with an OTA ABC HDTV feed of the Monday Night Football game. The PQ was superb! Also, the Panasonic has an excellent strech mode (they call it "just") for watching 4x3. We always use the strech mode.

I know there are many here who will disagree. But those who have actually seen a quality EDTV under ideal circumstances will agree. You cannot judge by what you see in the dealer's store (especially Costco) unless you make sure the contols are set correctly and that they are supplying a quality signal source. A year and a half ago when I first bought a plasma I went to look at Costco. They had the Panasonic hooked up using composite (one yellow cable) video connections! Good grief!

I think the Philips (which I have not viewed) is mostly made by Hitachi (at least they were 2 years ago) which is good news. So I don't think you will be disappointed with either set. Whichever one you keep, be sure you follow Panny's advice and do not watch any 4x3 for the first 100 hours and then no more than 10% 4x3 for the next 900 hours to break it in and prevent any possiblity of burn-in. Right out of the box turn the brightness and picture settings down. This will also add life to your set.

Good luck on your choice.

RR6

Collapse -
Thanks
by hlc216 / January 30, 2006 11:01 AM PST
In reply to: Here's My Two Cents

Thanks again for your adive. I am keeping the Panny EDTV. It is what my gut is telling me, I just needed someone to confirm. And if your memory is still good...I always go with my gut.. Happy

Collapse -
I turn 61 in 3 weeks. John
by jcrobso / February 14, 2006 2:10 AM PST
In reply to: Here's My Two Cents

Yes checking on what signal there are using for the demo is must, in ANY store, not just Costco. John

Collapse -
Prelated Happy Birthday
by RoadRunner6 / February 14, 2006 11:42 AM PST

John,

I turned 61 last August. I'll say HB now because in three weeks I'll probably have forgotten it's your.......forgotten?......forgotten what?.....what the heck were we talking about?

RR6

Collapse -
Philips 42" Plasma 42PF7320A
by skitherockies / February 13, 2006 8:22 AM PST

I bought one from Circuit City the Friday after Thanksgiving and I can recommend it as an outstanding value with great HD picture. The winter Olympics in HiDef are awesome! The only thing is that it doesn't have auto mute for those loud TV commercials. If you run it through a 5.1 audio system, then it may not be a problem, but it is a bedroom TV for us. I also have a Panasonic PT-43LC14 43" LCD Projection TV, which is dazzling too, however the picture on the LCD lacks the punch or contrast of the Philips Plasma. Perhaps the LCD picture is more realistic color, but CSI:Miami on the Philips is like WOWEEE!

I put cablecard on the Philips, but it is so slowwww!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.