Question

Dead spots with netgear RAX120 router.. add second router?

I have one netgear Wi-Fi 6 Rax120 router that distributed wireless and wired internet well through one part of my home.

I still have wifi deadspots in some distant parts of the home. I don't want to cut wireless or wired speeds with a new configuration. I see netgear will very soon release a wifi 6 network extender than can be connected wirelessly or wired... Or I can purchase a second identical router another netgear rax120.

Is one advantageous to the other? Only two devices are hardwired and currently wired to the first and my only router now. Is it better to buy another rax120 or netgears new wifi 6 extender? I don't want to lose bandwidth either wired or wireless

Thanks

Discussion is locked

Answer
Follow
Reply to: Dead spots with netgear RAX120 router.. add second router?
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Dead spots with netgear RAX120 router.. add second router?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Answer
A sure way to lose some bandwidth.

Once in a while this comes up but the more WiFi devices there are, you find there is some interference so there will be a small drop with almost every solution.

I'm going to bring up my favorite fix for the other end of the home and that's a POWERLINE KIT WITH WIFI.

Here's an example kit: https://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-PowerLINE-1000-802-11ac-Gigabit/dp/B01929V7ZG

This would be my solution.

- Collapse -
Answer
PS. Other fix I use a lot.

Relocate the router to a central location.

But about that second router. These tend to be difficult for some owners to setup. That is you have two common setup scenarios.

1. Just plug the new router into a LAN port of the first router.
There are up and downsides to this. It works most of the time but eventually the owner complains about not being able to print. This can get costly as they pay to have a tech or (awful) phone support to try port forwards (never see that work.)

2. Configure the new router to be a WAP. You can google these words to see how that's done. Lots of upside as the printer works now but some owners struggle with the changes or do odd things like name the new WiFi the same as the first router. We call the new hotspot a new name.

- Collapse -
Answer
Relocate Router

It is best to relocate your router to get better reception in dead spots through Wifi connections. Often, in a central location, better Wifi reception is obtained from the router to Wifi NICs.

CNET Forums

Forum Info