PC Hardware forum

General discussion

Dead Pixel Tester

by islandporgy / May 21, 2006 2:00 PM PDT

I read a review on the dell 24 LCD, and the person said he downloaded a dead pixel tester. I would like to know where I could download the dead pixel tester, so I could check out my new LCD. (Help)

Thank You

Wendell H

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Dead Pixel Tester
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Dead Pixel Tester
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Google. . .
by Coryphaeus / May 21, 2006 9:58 PM PDT
In reply to: Dead Pixel Tester

has a lot of listings when you search for dead pixel tester.

Collapse -
Thank You, Now what am I looking for
by islandporgy / May 22, 2006 7:12 AM PDT
In reply to: Google. . .

There were a few off them, I ran a few testers and saw solid colors.
Could you please tell me what a dead pixel is like or what it is like when I run the tester, I read some but did not understand.

I was told before by one off the Mediators, and this is what he said.

are the little dots on the monitor that generate what you see on the screen. The more pixels per inch the higher the resolution the monitor is capable of (among other factors). Dead pixels are those that don't ''activate'' that should when the monitor displays anything.

By Jack)

Posted by: jackintucson (see profile) - 04/17/2006 1:49 PM
In reply to: Dell UltraSharp 2405FPW by islandporgy Report offensive post

So what does it look like, If I see solid colors does that apply that evey thing is OK.

(This is on my Viewsonic LCD VP2030b)if you need any other info see my profile, thanks
I have 30 days to return if there is a problem so I have a little more than 20 days.

Thank You for your help
Wendell H

Collapse -
Dead pixels (picture elements). . .
by Coryphaeus / May 22, 2006 9:18 AM PDT

Are just pixels that do not respond. They will usually be black, and verrrrrrrrry small. If you put up a solid color screen, any light color, you may be able to see one, it'll be just a little black dot. Under normal viewing you'll probably never see one. Picture this: paint an entire wall white. Now take a needle and put a hole anywhere. Step back about fifteen feet and see if you can see the pin hole.

But note this. No manufacturer will replace a screen with only one dead pixel. The minimum number is usually eight, and only if they are in a cluster, and then don't count on it. You'll need to look at the warranty on the screen for the details of dead pixels.

Collapse -
Thank You Very Much
by islandporgy / May 22, 2006 2:10 PM PDT

If that is the case I do not have a problem now, I understand what I am suppose to look for.
I have been doing a lot off reading on LCDs before I purchased my first one a couple of days ago. And the only thing I was worried about was the dead pixels and not being able tell if I had a bad monitor or not.

I do not have any dead pixels.

Thank You Very Much

Wendell H

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?