HolidayBuyer's Guide

Desktops forum

General discussion

Dead PC

by nickdrums / September 6, 2008 3:27 AM PDT

I have a PC that won't boot.

OK, so I followed the sticky suggestions - have removed the graphics card, all PCI cards and unplugged the power supplies to all IDE drives and the floppy.

Also removed all memory modules, but still nothing at all.

When I press the power switch the main cpu fan powers up, and then switches off again.

It seems to run for a longer time the longer I have left it alone, but still only a few seconds.

In earlier investigations, it definitely got to the point of trying to access the HDD to boot, although nothing came up on the display, so I thought it was maybe the graphics card. However even with no graphics card it won't do anything.

Earlier history is that it stopped one day, and following what seemed to prove good advice I gave it a clean inside - in particular the processor fan was clogged with dust. It worked fine for about a week after this, but is now dead.

Any suggestions gratefully received.

Nick.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Dead PC
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Dead PC
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
How old is the CMOS Battery...have you cleared the CMOS ?
by VAPCMD / September 6, 2008 3:51 AM PDT
In reply to: Dead PC

Usually a CR2032 ...worth a try.

Let know.

Make. series and model number of system or MB might help.

VAPCMD

Collapse -
Update
by nickdrums / September 6, 2008 4:48 AM PDT

You reckon it might need a new CMOS battery?

You're right it's a CR2032. Would the system boot if I removed the battery?

The system is a bit of a mongrel. Current MB is a QDI Platinix 2 with an Intel P4 1.7GHz CPU.

Bit of an update - the most life I seem to be able to get is if I take out ALL memory but leave the graphics card in, when it starts I get repeating long beeps lasting about 4 secs, and then later another beep joins in which is continuous but jumps down and up an octave about once a second.

I still can't get a thing to feature on the display though - not even a "no keyboard" message.

The HDD is fine as I've had to take it out and attach it to another machine to get the files off - all was there no problems.

Nick.

Collapse -
"ater another beep joins in which is continuous but jumps do
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 6, 2008 4:54 AM PDT
In reply to: Update

"ater another beep joins in which is continuous but jumps down and up an octave about once a second."

That's a common OVERHEATING CPU indication. Has the cpu heatsink fallen off or did someone "clean" off the thermal compound?
Bob

Collapse -
Overheating
by nickdrums / September 6, 2008 5:03 AM PDT

Thanks Bob,

That sounds possible. Two thoughts:

1. When I was cleaning the processor fan, I did try to remove it from the machine. I couldn't work out how to remove it, but got as far as undoing a couple of fold-over clips on the fan so it came all loose. These are now re-fastened, but I wonder whether I have dislodged somthing under the fan? I'm really not sure how to take the fan off - it's labelled Intel A65061-002.

2. I did notice some weird stuff on the back of the chip on the graphics card (ATI Radeon X1600 Pro) which I cleaned up - maybe this was not a good plan?

What to do??

Nick.

Collapse -
Links about how to refresh heatsink compound.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 6, 2008 5:12 AM PDT
In reply to: Overheating
Collapse -
Overheating
by nickdrums / September 6, 2008 8:38 AM PDT

Thanks again. I have now worked out how to get the fan off completely, and yes having read the link you sent, I obviously need to get some thermal grease and re-set the cooler onto the processor.

One question though: would this really stop the machine from booting? I can imagine it would cause a shutdown, but if I'm starting the machine from cold would it not make some attempt to boot, even without the fan attached at all?

Nick.

Collapse -
Great way to lose a CPU.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 6, 2008 8:40 AM PDT
In reply to: Overheating

Some react better than others but after you lose a few CPUs (maybe one) you learn to follow the rules rather than guess and hope it works like you wrote.

In closing be sure to type BAD CAPS at google.com to be sure you don't have that issue. And finally I hope you are not working on some old smaller power supply.
Bob

Collapse -
Dead
by nickdrums / September 6, 2008 9:03 AM PDT

You mean the processor is fried?

I don't think I have bad caps, and nothing changed on the power supply or demand, so I don't see how that could be the problem.

Nick.

Collapse -
Sorry.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 6, 2008 9:08 AM PDT
In reply to: Dead

When I read that a member thinks they don't have rather than "I checked and didn't find them" then it is almost assured they didn't look for that issue.

I know you want to find the answer.
Bob

Collapse -
Really!
by nickdrums / September 6, 2008 9:15 AM PDT
In reply to: Sorry.

I got on my hands and knees and I squinted at those caps and they look ok! Honest!

Do you think the CPU is dead? Any way to check?

Collapse -
Just pictures.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 6, 2008 9:19 AM PDT
In reply to: Really!
Collapse -
Not bad caps
by nickdrums / September 6, 2008 9:22 AM PDT
In reply to: Just pictures.

No, there is definitely nothing looking anything like that in there! OK, well sounds lke it's time to take it to the PC doctor.

Thanks for your help anyway.

Nick.

Collapse -
Outcome
by nickdrums / September 12, 2008 6:12 PM PDT
In reply to: Just pictures.

Took the machine to a great place called PC Hospital in Bromley. Turned out to be the PSU, so they sourced and fitted another - this one 550W rather than the 300W dead one. Also got them to re-apply thermal grease to the processor / fan.

All now working fine again!

Nick.

Collapse -
(NT) Good to hear you got it fixed and Thanks for the feedback!
by VAPCMD / September 13, 2008 12:38 AM PDT
In reply to: Really!
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.