General discussion

Dead PC

by jtplenge / March 23, 2008 9:50 AM PDT

Hello,

I have a problem with a PC I built two weeks ago. My system configuration is:

Motherboard: Asrock PT880 775
CPU: Intel 2.1 GHz Core 2 Duo
Memory: 2 GB of Corsair DDR2
Video Card: MSI StarForce 831 with Nvidia GeForce 2 (cannibalized from my old system)
Power Supply: Thermaltake TR2-430W
Modem: US Robotics 56K (cannibalized from my old system)

The system worked perfectly for two weeks, then failed two nights ago. I had spent some time online, then turned away to pick up a CD with some software I wanted to install. When I turned back, the display screen had gone black and the power LED was blinking. Pressing the reset button simply caused the hard drive light to come on until the button was released, then the CD drive light would come on for a few seconds as though the system was trying to boot from it. I placed the video card back in my old computer where it worked perfectly, eliminating the video card as the problem. I installed the power supply from my old computer in the new one with no improvement, which seems to eliminate the power supply as the problem. Removing the modem and the memory also made no change. This seems to narrow the problem to either the CPU or the motherboard. Can someone suggest a way to determine which of the two is the problem? I don?t have spares to swap in as a test. Also, although the reviews of the power supply on NewEgg.com were overwhelmingly positive, a few reviewers claimed that it fried their motherboards. Is there a way to verify that the power supply is working properly?

Thanks

John Plenge

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Dead PC
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Dead PC
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) Did you recently purchase the CPU and MB for the upgrade ?
by VAPCMD / March 23, 2008 11:59 AM PDT
In reply to: Dead PC
Collapse -
(NT) Yes I did. The order date was March 2.
by jtplenge / March 24, 2008 10:38 AM PDT
Collapse -
In that event I'd go back to the retailer for a replacement.
by VAPCMD / March 24, 2008 11:08 AM PDT

If you get too far away from the purchase date...your only recourse will be the mfg.

Good Luck.

Keep us posted.

VAPCMD

Collapse -
did you try taking out the battery on the mobo
by Noobie Tuesday / March 28, 2008 12:37 AM PDT
In reply to: Dead PC

leave out for a few minutes and then stick the battery back in
to see if this is Bio's related try smelling the power supply to see if it smell's like burnt electronics if it does theres your problem it could also be that you didn't paste the thermal paste on your cpu and you could have fried it if you smeared it around with your finger or used more then a dime size spot if it ran out of the sides of the cpu

Collapse -
Reply to did you try taking out the battery on the mobo
by jtplenge / March 28, 2008 8:08 AM PDT

I called the manufacturer's tech support people and he had me take out everything except the motherboard itself (memory, video card, etc) then see if it beeped when I powered on. When it didn't, he had me take out the battery and replace it to reset the BIOS. When that didn't fix the problem, he had me take the motherboard out of the case to see if any of the standoffs it was mounted on were causing problems. When that didn't solve the problem he told me to ship the board back to Newegg. I took it to UPS today and it's on its way back. I don't think CPU overheating was the problem. The thermal paste was pre-applied on the heatsink/fan combo that I used, and after I got everything together I ran CPUBurn and Speedfan to test it. The temperature never got above 35 deg C. I'll see if I notice any odor with the power supply.

Thanks

John

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.