Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

Dead laptop questions

by MARBLEANN / October 8, 2009 3:49 PM PDT

How can you recover pictures and other things off a dead laptop? I have some on backup discs, but not all. Can I do it myself or do I have to bring it somewhere for a person to do it for me? Or is it impossible to do? Thanks in advance.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Dead laptop questions
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Dead laptop questions
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: dead laptops
by Kees Bakker / October 8, 2009 5:41 PM PDT
In reply to: Dead laptop questions

Get the disk out. If the reason for dying isn't the disk, it's still readable.

Then choose from:
- mount it in another PC
- put it in an external case
- connect it via a IDE/SATA-USB2 cable

The do it and transfer your files. You might need to take ownership if you get an "access denied" message.

Fairly routine.

Kees

Collapse -
Best of Luck
by riordan_kathy / October 8, 2009 6:48 PM PDT
In reply to: Re: dead laptops

If there is no HDD crash you can definitely get it back just try to follow the steps listed above.

And best of luck

Collapse -
Still any hope?
by MARBLEANN / October 9, 2009 3:51 AM PDT
In reply to: Best of Luck

Thanks for you replies. I have to mention when I say dead I mean dead, lol. I had a thread up last week about what had happened. I was just surfing the internet and I got a blue screen and the computer turned off. Since then I was able to get the computer to actually load into the windows for a quick second before I got another blue screen, which I was able to read there is either a conflict with the hardware or software before it turned off again. Since then I was able to get a black screen which stated "Trap 00004106 Please report this problem load needs DLL for Hal". The only way to get out of that screen was to shut the computer off. Since then all I get is the computer trying to load but it shuts itself off and and tries to restart. I have recovery disc but it doesn't even get to the window for me to load. So all I have is a laptop that is trying to restart itself. So after reading this is there still hope for me to recover anything? Thanks again.

Collapse -
Still not sure if it's . . .
by Coryphaeus / October 9, 2009 5:42 AM PDT
In reply to: Still any hope?

a hard drive failure. You need to pull the drive and put it into an external USB-2 case and attach it to a working computer. If the problem is a corrupted operating system you can get what you want off the drive. If the drive has well and surely failed, it'll show failure in the case.

Collapse -
Sounds like a good plan
by MARBLEANN / October 9, 2009 6:56 AM PDT

Thanks! Where can I access the HD on my laptop? And what type of external case do I need to get? I see SATA and IDE 2.5. Or does it make a difference? This sounds like a plan if I can do it. I have a HP laptop XP. I know if I turn it over I can remove the memory. Is that the same place the HD is?

Collapse -
HP what . . .
by Coryphaeus / October 9, 2009 10:13 AM PDT

There are a gazillion models. Find your documentation either in the owner's manual or the HP web site. HD removal will be listed. After you identify the drive as either IDE or SATA (big difference, not interchangeable), find the appropriate USB-2 external case. New Egg is a great place to shop. Insert the drive into the case and plug it into a working PC. It'll show up as another drive. Then browse the drive for whatever you're looking for.

RAM (memory) is not the same as a hard drive. Look at the book.

Collapse -
New question
by MARBLEANN / October 9, 2009 10:27 AM PDT
In reply to: HP what . . .

Hi I read to see how to remove it. Looks like something I can handle but thanks for telling me to see if it is SATA. I'll go over to the HP website. I understand one type is newer then the other also. Question could I just get another HD and put it in my computer instead of buying a new one? Thanks again.

Collapse -
Question could I just get another HD . . .
by Coryphaeus / October 9, 2009 12:26 PM PDT
In reply to: New question

Yep, research HD replacement for your machine which will include reinstalling the OS.

Collapse -
2.5 or 3.5
by MARBLEANN / October 9, 2009 11:05 AM PDT
In reply to: HP what . . .

I see it is a SATA. How do I know if it is a 2.5 or 3.5? Or does it matter. I thought Laptops were 2.5, but I am not sure.

Collapse -
(NT) 2.5
by Coryphaeus / October 9, 2009 12:23 PM PDT
In reply to: 2.5 or 3.5
Collapse -
Use a liveCD, boot from it, and recover your data
by Porch-a-Geese / October 9, 2009 1:52 PM PDT
In reply to: Dead laptop questions

If the laptop works, put a Linux distribution on it. You can save the windows partition or maybe even fix what is broke.
If it works, then the problem is the software.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.