Mac Hardware forum

General discussion

dead ibook G3 - please help

by lulu1929 / November 23, 2005 3:55 AM PST

i would greatly appreciate any advice on this.

i have an ibook G3 700mhz from 2002. it has worked completely fine with no problems at all. in october i had the hard drives switched out (took out a larger one and reinstalled the orignal 20 gig hd) and at that time it was throrougly tested and no problems were found. last week it completely died - one day it just wouldn't start.

i took it to the repair shop on campus (i'm a graduate student) and they tried everything they could think of by removing or replacing a number of things including RAM, airport card, the keyboard, etc. they even connected a different power button to make sure the problem wasn't something as simple as that. they tested the computer without a battery and with a known-good battery. nothing they did made any difference. the computer doesn't even turn on. no fans spinning, no hard drive spinning, no beeps, chirps, grinding noises, or any other faint signs of life. it is showing no symptoms of the known logic board problem - no horizontal or vertical lines on screen or system boots to black or grey screen. there has never been one damn problem with it at all until it just stopped turning on altogether.

it has not been dropped and nothing has been spilled on it.

can anyone think of anything that hasn't been tried? the only thing the repair shop could think of was that they didn't remove the cable connecting the hard drive and cd drive. they would be surprised if that made a difference, and so would i. they are recommending that i give up and part it out, but i have a really hard time believing that it just suddenly died with no warning whatsoever.

i have a new ibook but i gave this old one to another starving grad student in october and i feel bad for her that this has happened. i want to make sure i'm not overlooking anything.

ideas anyone?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: dead ibook G3 - please help
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: dead ibook G3 - please help
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Did you swap out the mainboard?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 23, 2005 4:39 AM PST

Just checking.

Collapse -
dead ibook G3 - please help
by lulu1929 / November 23, 2005 9:28 AM PST

you mean the logic board? well, that's the question - is replacing the logic board the only option left? the model was made during the years that are known to have the logic board design flaw, however i have never had any of the problems that generally go along with it. in fact, the computer wasn't acting strangely at all. one day it just wouldn't boot up.

apple won't replace the logic board for free (two months past the extension deadline) and i don't know if it is worth spending $300 on an ibook that old or not.

Collapse -
Usually not that much...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 23, 2005 11:08 AM PST

Look around ebay for said parts. The bad news is you need those parts to figure which part is dead. Being friendly with an Apple repair shop helps.

Bob

Collapse -
Words of wisdom (hopefully)
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / November 23, 2005 10:02 AM PST

This is from the Service Manual.

The computer will not power on
1. Remove any connected peripherals.
2. Try known-good power outlet.
3. Try known-good power adapter and power cord.
4. Remove battery.
5. Press Caps Lock key to see if light on key comes on. If it does, hold power button
down for six seconds to shut down the computer and restart.
6. Reset the power manager by pressing the key combination Control-Option-Shiftpower.
Warning: Make sure you do not hold down the "fn" key when resetting the power manager.
Warning: Resetting the power manager will permanently remove a RAM disk, if present, and all of its contents. You will also need to reset the date and time (using the Date & Time control panel).
7. Disconnect keyboard completely. Inspect connectors. Restart with keyboard
disconnected.
8. Remove any additional RAM
9. Remove AirPort Card.
10. Try known-good DC board.
11. Verify power button is connected properly to logic board, if power button is not functioning correctly or damaged, replace the top case.
12. Replace logic board.

Hope your machine starts before you get to step 12

Happy Thanksgiving

P

Collapse -
Dead iBook
by otcrozz / January 3, 2006 1:29 AM PST

I am have the same probem with my iBook. The Hard Drive dosen't respond. Did you ever resolve the problem with yours?

Collapse -
Dead iBook
by otcrozz / January 3, 2006 1:30 AM PST

I am have the same probem with my iBook (700mhz G3 14"). The Hard Drive dosen't respond. Did you ever resolve the problem with yours?

Collapse -
Does anything else happen?
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / January 3, 2006 4:02 AM PST
In reply to: Dead iBook

Any fans, lights, noises, any indications of life from the machine in general?

P

Collapse -
Go to apple repair center
by David Chavez / January 12, 2006 11:30 PM PST

Hi, My problem is the same of yours, an authorized repair center told me this model especifically (iBook G3 700Mhz) came with manufacture problems in the mother board, so, apple is replacing this part with no cost, I give the note of purchase, with the serial number, only you must pay the price of the installation.
I'm from Mexico City with no problem, please take your iBook with some authorized repair center, I assure it will help you.

David Chavez

Collapse -
As the poster pointed out
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / January 12, 2006 11:47 PM PST

he is past the deadline for the warranty extension

P

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.