PC Hardware forum

General discussion

dead external hard drive :(

by bonz696 / June 22, 2008 6:20 AM PDT

hello

hopefully you folks can help

I have an external hard drive (LaCie External 500GB Hard Drive Design by F.A. Porsche) and out of the blue it died. It gave no warning signs (ie noises etc) and I can hear the drive spinning when powered up. It's attached with a USB cable.
I've tried swapping USB caples, power cables and still nothing.
when I plug in the USB cable I can "hear" the noise of WinXP finding hardware, But nothing shows up in My Computer. Ive tried reinstalling the usb drivers and still nothing. My other external hard drives have not had any problems (3 My Books)
The only place I can find the hard drive anwhere is in Conrol Panel - System - Device Manager - Universal Serial Bus Controllers - USB Mass Storage Device...(in properties) It shows that "Location 0 (LaCie Hard Drive USB) and it says the "device is working properly"

I have an AMD Athlon 64 X2 6400+
4Gb Ram
WinXP MCE w/ service pack 2

Is there any chance of saving the data on my hard drive. I have some different data recovery software, BUT if windows can't find/recognize the HD, then what?

Thanks in Advance for any help that you folks can share

Bonz696

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: dead external hard drive :(
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: dead external hard drive :(
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
But did you try a new CASE?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 22, 2008 6:26 AM PDT

I see you tried a few of the usuals. Now try that.

Collapse -
But did you try a new CASE?
by bonz696 / June 22, 2008 2:20 PM PDT

thanks for the response

could you please explain more about trying a new case?

bonz696

Collapse -
Yes.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 22, 2008 11:58 PM PDT

Buy new case, put old drive into it and re-test. Sorry if I was unclear.
Bob

Collapse -
First thought. . .
by Coryphaeus / June 22, 2008 6:27 AM PDT

can you put it into the PC as a slave drive? External cases have circuit boards and they can die. Have you tried plugging it into another PC?

Collapse -
First thought. . .
by bonz696 / June 22, 2008 2:16 PM PDT
In reply to: First thought. . .

thanks for the response

yes I have tried it in another PC, How do I install it as a slave drive?

bonz696

Collapse -
Tell us more about your PC. . .
by Coryphaeus / June 22, 2008 9:13 PM PDT
In reply to: First thought. . .

Depending on the make and model we can probably walk you through it.

Collapse -
Tell us more about your PC. . .
by bonz696 / June 23, 2008 2:02 AM PDT

sure thing

the dead hard drive is:
LaCie External 500GB Hard Drive Design by F.A. Porsche

My computer is a Cyberpower made to order:
AMD Athlon 64 X2 6400+
A-DATA 4Gb Ram (4x1GB) SDRAM DDR2 240 pin
WinXP MCE w/ service pack 2
Gigabyte GA-M55SLI-S4 motherboard
EVGA GeForce 8800GTS 640MB video card
Hitachi 160 GH internal Harddrive
let me know if I forgot anything
Thanks again

Bonz696

Collapse -
Can you open the case?
by Coryphaeus / June 23, 2008 8:57 AM PDT

If so you should be able to add the questionable drive as a slave drive to verify if the drive is bad or the external case is bad. On question that needs to be answered before we continue. Are you at all familiar with the inside of a computer? If so we can continue. If not, maybe not. Do you know what an IDE cable is? Can you find the slave hard drive slot?

Collapse -
Can you open the case?
by bonz696 / June 23, 2008 2:22 PM PDT
In reply to: Can you open the case?

yes I know what an IDE cable is and where the slave hard drive slot is...I didnt know they may IDE/USB cables..

also, why does windows recognize the hard drive when it's pluged in (by making the plug and play noise), but it doesn't show up anywhere?

again, thanks for all the help with this issuse, its greatly appreciated.

Bonz696

Collapse -
Connect and disconnect sound
by Steven Haninger / June 23, 2008 9:13 PM PDT

This just means it's detected the connection but has nothing to do with knowing what's connected. You'd get that same sound if the hard drive wasn't in the enclosure but power was attached. There's and interface that's part of the enclosure. XP sees that first. It can't see the hard drive without first getting past the interface.

Collapse -
Connect and disconnect sound
by bonz696 / June 24, 2008 1:47 AM PDT

thanks for the reply, didn't know that

bonz696

Collapse -
Can you open the case?
by bonz696 / June 24, 2008 5:26 AM PDT

I got the external LaCie case open..The actual Hard Drive is a Seagate Barracuda 500GB
I installed it in my computer as internal.
During boot up and into BIOS the HD is recognized,but when it gets to the windows loading screen, my computer freezes.
While my computer is booting up, it shows the LaCie/Seagate HD as a master, along with my Hitachi 160GB (actual Master).
I've looked around and can't seem to find out how to make the LaCie/Seagate the slave drive, or does it do it automaticaly?
I have 4 SATA controllers on my Motherboard. The Hitachi HD is in SATAII 0 and the LaCie/Seagate HD is in SATAII 1.
Should I move the LaCie/Seagate HD to SATAII 2 0r 3?
Again, I really appreciate everyone who has replied.
Thanks

Bonz696

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?