Laptops forum

General discussion

Dead Comp

So, I got my hands on a dead Acer 5100, When you turn it on it goes beeep, then about a second later it goes beep beep
And that's pretty much it. Any idea where to start?
I've tried to start it with a boot-cd but get nothing what so even.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Dead Comp
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Dead Comp
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: beep, beep.

In reply to: Dead Comp

That's something on the motherboard. The technical manual explains what it is. If you can't find it on the Internet, ask a qualified Acer tech.

It can be anything like:
- no RAM
- error when checking RAM
- no video
- invalid BIOS
All kind of circumstances that would cause the BIOS to be unable to put a decent error message on the screen. All it can do is scream a few beeps to show the CPU basically works and so does the speaker. It's like braille: learn the code and you'll understand the message.

Kees

Collapse -
Typical of no ram.

Many would remove that on a dead unit to sell off.

Collapse -
Thanks

In reply to: Typical of no ram.

So I've been trying to find the tech manual, with little success, didn't get the pdf files said to be so.
It's got all the parts it usually had, from what I hear it had had some difficulty recently, so might maybe be hard drive?

Collapse -
Excellent

In reply to: Thanks

Well, I found the manual finally, it didn't have any think og th beeps, but a very handy undetermined problems section.
It pretty much said to remove anything I can, then try and see, and thus I remove the HDD and RAM and Voila, no sounds.
no real life ether, but no beep sounds.
So, Am I far from a solution if I suggest the ram chip might be the issue?

Collapse -
So it's really dead(er) now?

In reply to: Excellent

Sounds like the wrong direction to go in. Beeps = hope. No beeps = it's really dead.
Bob

Collapse -
Error Code?

I recently picked up a Vintage ThinkPad at a garage sale. Double beep at start up. It had an error code. I plugged that into Google and got 1 hit. The hit said "replace the CMOS battery" and so I did. 5 bucks later my laptop was up and working and I'm a happy camper.

The trick is the error. Some computers will boot with no CMOS battery. Some won't. A new battery is an easy thing to fix. If your error is something else (like no RAM) that may take a bit more work.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.