PC Hardware forum

General discussion

dead boards

by mifflin / February 6, 2010 7:25 AM PST

I've done three builds in my life...all of them have eventually ended with a fried motherboard. Am I doing something wrong? Should there be some kind insulator between the metal standoffs/board/screws?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: dead boards
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: dead boards
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
How long do they last roughly ? Sure your house wiring is
by VAPCMD / February 6, 2010 7:45 AM PST
In reply to: dead boards

okay ?

Are you using a UPS ?

VAPCMD

Collapse -
no
by mifflin / February 6, 2010 10:08 AM PST

no. just a surge protector. and i've never had a problem with the prebuilt systems i've had....just the ones i've built. maybe a string of bad luck

Collapse -
(NT) Any ideas why the BYOPCs died ... using good PSUs ?
by VAPCMD / February 6, 2010 10:30 AM PST
In reply to: no
Collapse -
yeah
by mifflin / February 7, 2010 2:30 AM PST

On the last one I used an Antec Truepower 2.0 550 Watt. I checked the voltages on the p1 & p4 connectors...it still seems to be providing good power.

I'm not completely sure the board is what's bad on this one(i don't see any blown caps)...i'm leaning that way though. I get nothing on the screen when I boot but all the fans come on & the soft power led on the board lights up. I've tried a different cpu. Put a multimeter to the psu...it checks out. I tried an old PCI graphics card to no avail. I'm not sure this board supports pci graphics...i don't see why it wouldn't. I have two sticks of 1gb ddr2 i was running in it. I swapped both of those in & out, so it's not the ram unless both sticks died at the same time.

Collapse -
You probably do this too but just in case...with a problem
by VAPCMD / February 7, 2010 5:21 AM PST
In reply to: yeah

system, I always pull the MB and place it on a piece of cardboard for trouble shooting. Then clear the BIOS and check/replace the CMOS battery. (I start with cardboard for all PCs I build).

Re the PCI graphics ... give it a try.

Re standoffs....I use only 2 or 3 brass standoffs and for the rest I use the old plastic standoffs with the bottoms cut off. Haven't used the paper washers for years.

VAPCMD

Collapse -
esd
by mifflin / February 8, 2010 4:31 AM PST

What about ESD? Do you use anything else besides the cardboard? Sometimes I'll use a wriststrap, sometimes I just try to touch the case. I wonder if this could be the root of all my problems. I've never been exactly sure how sensitive the components are. I've heard some say they never worry about and others say you have to be extremely careful.

Collapse -
ESD ... possible but I don't see it is a likely
by VAPCMD / February 8, 2010 6:01 AM PST
In reply to: esd

cause for component failure after extended use. Right wrong or otherwise I think of ESD as killing something immediately vice days, weeks or months later. Advice re handling ... never touch components parts .. like RAM, CPUs, MBs, GPUs, etc., ... except by the edges. Thus far...20 plus years, that's served me well.

VAPCMD

Collapse -
dead boards
by Brechan / February 7, 2010 7:02 AM PST

Any chance we can have the make/ model number of the motherboard, so we can possibly dig a little deeper into this puzzle?

Collapse -
sure
by mifflin / February 7, 2010 10:54 AM PST

The board is an Asus A8N-E.

Collapse -
Hmm...I've still got an A8N-Sli Deluxe and it still works
by VAPCMD / February 7, 2010 11:31 AM PST
In reply to: sure

I've since moved to an i860 and Win 7.

Might see what the ASUS forum has for the A8N-E MB ?

VAPCMD

Collapse -
Just a couple more questions from me...
by Brechan / February 8, 2010 6:50 AM PST
In reply to: sure

In regards to your last 3 BYOPC's:

1) Was it the same make and model of motherboard?
2) How long before the system went belly-up?
3) Can I post your original message on the ASUS forums ( with the addition of of the make/ model #'s included)?

Collapse -
re:
by mifflin / February 8, 2010 7:23 AM PST

1. They were not the same boards. My first build was a an Athlon Thunderbird...I can't remember the make & model of the first board that fried but I want to say it was Asus. I had a tech replace that for me with a Jetway V266B which also fried. The Jetway has some pretty obvious blown caps.

2. It was probably more than a year before it bit the dust. It's been sitting in my closet for a few months. I'm just now getting around to resurrecting it.

3.Please do.

Collapse -
Sorry it took so long, work and all...
by Brechan / February 9, 2010 7:32 AM PST
In reply to: re:

you know how it is.

Anyway, have been checking through the ASUS forums (so many questions, so many problems, sooo many pages)and have still a few more questions.

Can you recall (before you put this mobo in the closet) what symtoms it had before the computer died?
-BSOD
-constant or random crashing
-PSU working, mobo power light on but no power to rest of the computer
-system stops before getting to POST screen
-fan warning at startup, "Chip fan speed too low"
-smoke, flames ?

The one problem I did see noted quite often was the failure of the chipset fan.
But aside from this, if you could answer these quesitons, I might be able to dig deeper in to ASUS

Collapse -
re:
by mifflin / February 10, 2010 9:39 AM PST

Not a problem. Thanks for your help.

It's been a while since it crashed. But here's what i can remember:
-Don't recall any BSODs
-there was some random crashing growing more frequent towards then end
-the psu seems to be working. the light comes on all fans spin. the voltages check out on a multimeter
-nothing displays on the screen at all. like the monitor isn't plugged in. no beep codes either
-no fan warnings
-no smoke or fire

The chipset fan does turn.

Collapse -
Bad Caps?
by Brechan / February 10, 2010 9:57 AM PST
Collapse -
what CPU are you using?
by Brechan / February 10, 2010 10:06 AM PST

is it new or older?

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?