The CNET Lounge forum

General discussion

Dead air at the end of 747?

by erier2003 / June 17, 2008 5:37 AM PDT

Am I the only one who got seven and a half minutes of dead air at the end of Episode 747? I also did not get any outro music. The show simply ended with Molly telling listeners that the Firefox site was still down. Not a complaint, just a question. I listened for about two minutes of dead air, hoping for an easter egg or some secret code, but nothing happened. Happy

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Dead air at the end of 747?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Dead air at the end of 747?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Sure Enough
by 4Denise / June 17, 2008 6:40 AM PDT

Everyone said goodbye and then-- nothing.

Denise

Collapse -
___
by raygun01 / June 17, 2008 9:30 AM PDT
In reply to: Sure Enough

yes, dead air. That's what I get for rushing production through to get to a meeting. Re-upping in a few minutes. At least you didn't miss anything, I just failed to copy the end music up to the end of the dialogue so it sat where it was the day before: a few minutes later.

Collapse -
Okay,
by DaveBinM / June 17, 2008 9:42 AM PDT
In reply to: ___

Thanks for fixing that Jason Happy Also, dead air and 747, I keep thinking of planes.

Collapse -
Doesn't that make this episode
by 4Denise / June 17, 2008 2:00 PM PDT

kind of valuable-- you know, like a bunch of messed up coins that made it into circulation somehow.

Denise

Collapse -
eh
by mementh / June 17, 2008 3:10 PM PDT

you mean you cut out the audio from the day before from the ending credits and then put it in the current days?

why not have "ending credits.mp3" and just insert it at the end? this way you can't make a copy/paste errors?

Collapse -
Yeah,
by DaveBinM / June 17, 2008 9:18 PM PDT
In reply to: eh

I thought that was odd too.

Collapse -
We use a template...
by raygun01 / June 18, 2008 12:47 AM PDT
In reply to: Yeah,

To cut down on post production time... So the beginning and ending music is already placed within the Audacity project. Every day that we go in to record, I delete the prior day's dialogue track... we record the show, I top and tail the dialogue for that day. Move the start of the dialogue to the middle of the opening music, move the end music to the middle of the end of the dialogue and bammo. Done.

...that is of course if I don't forget to move the end music over, which happened yesterday.

Believe me, much worse things can happen.

Collapse -
eh
by mementh / June 18, 2008 1:45 AM PDT
In reply to: We use a template...

seems a copy/paste might work (its what i do for making he ringtones)

but then again.... who went to school for this? Happy

Plus there is no real problem unless you go OVERTIME which i am sure you take care of.

so... imho Jason.. you do this for a living, you know what to do better then i would ever Happy

Collapse -
Fair enough, makes sense.
by DaveBinM / June 18, 2008 10:29 AM PDT
In reply to: We use a template...

I suppose when you have to do it a lot, saving yourself the 5 minutes of clicking and dragging for importing and placing the ads/music is really worth it. I think it it'd annoy me after the first two or three times, and I'd be looking for a way to cut that out.

Thanks for the little bit of extra information Jason! I'm looking forward to your next blog post on BOL!

Collapse -
Thought a prank was in there
by aubrey_q / June 17, 2008 2:02 PM PDT

I kept thinking some scary sound was going to come out as a joke.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) I was Expecting a RickRoll :)
by PressAnyKey / June 18, 2008 3:15 AM PDT
Collapse -
I have another question
by erier2003 / June 18, 2008 3:31 AM PDT

but I don't know if it deserves its own thread. So I'll post it in here (we'll make this the "Silly Mistakes" thread). Did Tom intentionally throw the old album art on Episode 746? I remember him saying in the beginning of the episode that any name, art, show notes, etc. mistakes would be his fault because Jason was absent. Funny joke or silly mistake? Silly

Collapse -
Dead air at the end of 747?
by wizkids32 / June 18, 2008 7:22 AM PDT

Yep I got 7 and 1/2 minutes of silents at the end of the show I guess they went to download FireFox 3

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?