General discussion

DDR 3 Dual Channel and Triple channel

I have corsair ddr3 dual channel RAM 2X2 4GB. I use it with my Asus Dual channel motherboard without any issue. Now I have built a new computer the motherboard is Asus Rampage III it has triple channel. I use this dual channel RAM on this new built but I would like to make it triple channel. So is it possible this dual channel DDR3 RAM to use as triple channel by adding one 2GBS DDR3 RAM with the same specification.

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: DDR 3 Dual Channel and Triple channel
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: DDR 3 Dual Channel and Triple channel
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Let's do better.

Get the SAME make and model for that new stick. I've found folk that do not want to dive into the specifications. That is, they call it the same spec but then you open off the FULL SPEC and find a new item in the spec that does not match the older sticks.

If you want to avoid all this work, get the same stick from the same maker and the same place you got the old sticks.
Bob

- Collapse -
Just remember DDR3 is DDR3 is DDR3 and RAM itself doesn't

change whether it's used in a dual channel system or triple channel system. The difference is how the SYSTEM (motherboard) uses the RAM. Same RAM ... different implementation/execution.

To go from dual channel mode to triple channel mode is to go from 2 matching DIMMs in the applicable DIMM slots of a dual channel system to 3 matching DIMMs in the applicable DIMMs slots in a system that supports triple (vice dual) channel operation.

Hope this helps.

VAPCMD

- Collapse -
CORSAIR DDR3 Adding RAM

Thank you for both of your information.

The RAM I have is Corsair CM3X-1600C9DHX XMS3-1600 2048MB 1600MHz 9-9-9-24 1.80V ver3.2. It is a dual channel so I think to buy another similar 2x2 GB of RAM and adding one stick of RAM to make triple channel.The rest 2 GB I'd like to use for my another computer. If it is possible I do not have to buy a triple channel RAM. I know dual channel RAM I can use for single channel but I do not know the possibility to make the dual channel RAM a Triple channel by adding one more similar stick of RAM.

- Collapse -
Good plan

Getting another Corsair of that same model and specs is your best hope.

- Collapse -
You have one CM3X-1600C9DHX XMS3-1600 2048MB DIMM

for a total of 2GB ... is that correct ?

VAPCMD

- Collapse -
2X2

I have 2 sticks of RAM 2X2 4GB.

- Collapse -
Then a couple of options...

find one DIMM to match the other two....to give you three-DIMMs-2GB each- 6GB total.

Or get a triple channel kit (6GB) ....for the new machine that implements triple channel and use the original 2 DIMMs in a machine that implements dual channel.

VAPCMD

CNET Forums

Forum Info