Networking & Wireless forum

Question

DD-WRT firmware for TPLink WR841N v9

by salilsurendran / April 9, 2016 4:50 PM PDT

Hello,
I have ATT uverse broadcasting in 2.4GHz. In my living room I get close to 4 Mbps download speeds on my desktop computer and my signal strength is -57db. In my bedroom I get 13 Mbps which is the full speed with the same signal strength. There are many other wifi signals that are causing interference in my living room. I have a TPLINK WR841N v9 wireless router which supports 802.11 n. I see two options:
1. Have the TPLink router broadcast in 5 GHz? Is this possible with the DD-WRT software?
2. Use the TPLink router as a Wifi repeater and have a wired connection to my desktop computer in the living room

I was wondering as to what would be a better option and if so what would be the right DD-WRT build to use for this?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: DD-WRT firmware for TPLink WR841N v9
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: DD-WRT firmware for TPLink WR841N v9
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Try rolling it back to 802.11 g and change channels
by Dafydd Forum moderator / April 9, 2016 5:05 PM PDT

Post was last edited on April 9, 2016 5:11 PM PDT

Collapse -
Already changed channels
by salilsurendran / April 9, 2016 5:34 PM PDT

Already changed channels to 11 which is supposed to be least crowded. But no help. Have been using Xirrus Wifi analyzer as well to figure out what could be done.

Collapse -
Answer
Well, let's check the CNET Review.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 9, 2016 5:56 PM PDT
Collapse -
ROFLMBO!!!
by James Denison / April 9, 2016 7:20 PM PDT
"Yugo at the drag strip."

what he needs is an electric Datsun!

Collapse -
The problem is not with the router
by salilsurendran / April 9, 2016 9:58 PM PDT
In reply to: ROFLMBO!!!

The problem is not with the router. The ATT Uverse router is the primary signal, I would like to use the router as a wifi extender. The same router worked very well with comcast but the internet speed there was 50 Mbps and with ATT it is 12 Mbps. It is just the spot of the living room where the desktop computer is kept is very crowded with wifi signals interfering with each other.

Collapse -
Extenders drop the speeds.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 9, 2016 10:21 PM PDT

So we know that up front. Now if you were to use that router as a WAP, then you've avoided the old extender speed loss issue.

As to your comment about crowded, etc. If you have many devices using the internet, they share that speed. Nothing wrong about that and it's not interference.

Collapse -
Sharing wifi signal is not the problem
by salilsurendran / April 10, 2016 5:37 AM PDT

No the problem is not many devices sharing the same wifi. Like I said I get full speed at every other place in the house. but many different signals interfering with my signal.

Collapse -
Then fix that.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 10, 2016 7:28 AM PDT

You know the issue now. You control those devices so rearrange, use channels or bands to make it work. If it's the neighbors then only a band change may give relief.

It seems you know what to do so I'm sure you'll get it done soon.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Turn up the volume with our Apple Byte sweeps!

Two lucky winners will take home the coveted smart speaker that lets Siri help you around your connected house. This sweepstake ends Feb. 25, 2018.