Video Cameras forum

Question

DCR-TRV340E is broken after installing and using PlayMemorie

DCR-TRV340E is broken after installing and using PlayMemories Home (Windows)

This is so ridicilious. Are Sony deliberately putting malicious code into PlayMemories Home (Windows) so people are being have to purchase new camera?

Our camera was perfectly working fine. Then i wanted to save our old Hi8 casettes to the computer

Searched for official software and found out PlayMemories Home (Windows)

Installed it. Then connected camera to the computer via usb. It recognized it. Tried to import media option in PlayMemories Home (Windows)

It worked only for memory stick but not for the tape

After this command, no more the device shows any of the 10 minutes ago perfectly fine working tapes!

It plays the tape as usual but no duration is shown at the outside small LCD like before or no display at the LCD of the camera or no output when connected to the TV

All of them were working perfectly fine 10 minutes ago before I have connected the camera to the computer via USB and run the

PlayMemories Home (Windows) software

So here my questions

How can i solve this ****** annoying isue?

Anyway to factory reset camera software as i believe it is 100% related to the software?

Anyway to update camera software, reset its bios etc?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: DCR-TRV340E is broken after installing and using PlayMemorie
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: DCR-TRV340E is broken after installing and using PlayMemorie
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
Firewire capture.

In reply to: DCR-TRV340E is broken after installing and using PlayMemorie

For video we use Firewire and I still use WinDV from http://windv.mourek.cz/

When you use that you have choices on encoding. RAW is pretty big but you did ask for original quality.

Collapse -
Firewire capture part two.

In reply to: Firewire capture.

Since it's a safe bet your W10 new laptop can't get Firewire the usual is to get an old desktop to do just this transfer on.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
It worked only for memory stick but not for the tape

I've read many complaints about that. http://support.d-imaging.sony.co.jp/www/disoft/int/download/playmemories-home/win/en/ repeats over and over it's for Photos.

http://support.d-imaging.sony.co.jp/www/disoft/int/playmemories-home/en/guide/windows/ repeats the same.

If you want Videos, this is not the app you want.

The TRV340E is a Digital8 camcorder. How to transfer is in the table at https://esupport.sony.com/US/p/support-info.pl?&info_id=64&mdl=DCRTRV340 but again...
"Connect the camera with a USB cable to transfer photos saved on the memory stick.
You can use the PlayMemories Home software to import the images.
There are some camera models that allow video to be recorded on a memory stick. Check your manual for model-specific information."

So PlayMemories and Sony repeats over and over this is not how to move videos.

As this is clear as can be, I won't write further about USB video transfers.

-> For video we use Firewire and I still use WinDV from http://windv.mourek.cz/

But that's the rub for many. They don't have a Firewire PC any more.

Collapse -
thank you very much for your irrevelant copy paste message

In reply to: It worked only for memory stick but not for the tape

thank you very much for your irrevelant copy paste message

now read again and try to answer

Collapse -
I've been over that app too many times.

In reply to: thank you very much for your irrevelant copy paste message

And folk always want me to tell them it's for video transfer.

It's not.

If you feel I was too hard on you about this, I apologize. But to get video cassettes over, it's Firewire and WinDV. I've only been at this for over a decade. If you feel Sony is pushing apps that break your camcorder, make a case in small claims court.

I'm here if you want to talk about how to get the video out. Not to go through yet another Playmemories discussion. That's done.

Collapse -
are you a robot?

In reply to: I've been over that app too many times.

dude are you reading my question? the device is not showing the videos anymore when i play tapes

Collapse -
I know you're upset.

In reply to: are you a robot?

I read it as is the USB works for a bit and stops. If the camcorder doesn't work to play tapes, you would be the first I know to break such with installing the Playmemories app.

Look in the manual for any resets, try those, check if the camera uses that CR2032 coin battery, replace that and re-set, re-test.

Hey, I know it's upsetting. If you feel it was my fault, I'll bow out.

Collapse -
every function of the camera works except no display when

In reply to: I know you're upset.

every function of the camera works except no display when playing back the tape

the play feature were working before i used play memories app

we do not have anymore any manual

Collapse -
This camera is old.

In reply to: every function of the camera works except no display when

I don't need to tell you how old. The display failing is just one of the many failures folk report over time. For years I've been telling folk to get their content out and make no new tapes.

For those that have a failed camcorder the advice is to scour Ebay for a working camcorder to get the content out. Can be cheaper than companies that transfer for you.

Collapse -
The manual looks to be at this link.

In reply to: every function of the camera works except no display when

Collapse -
Answer
The camcorder is not broken.

There is nothing to "fix".

The "E" designation for the camcorder means it uses PAL standard definition video format (25 frames per second). Using the link Bob provided, there is also a separate instruction page for getting the video from the camcorder to the computer
http://sony-eur-eu-en-web--eur.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/138461
Disregard all the stuff about HDV - that does not impact you as your camcorder is standard def video only (but you already know that).

Yes, there used to be a Windows USB driver that allowed video from the camcorder to be imported to a Windows-based computer. Support for that driver ended around the time of Windows XP. It may have worked "coincidentally" after Windows XP, but that was no longer supported by either Playmemories or Windows. That means when Windows changed and the USB driver needed updating, there was no USB driver update and no PlayMemories update.

The "resolution" at the time was to use a firewire connection to which the above link refers. The camcorder's DV port (also known as i.Link, IEEE1394 and Firewire) connects to the computer's firewire port with a firewire cable. USB-to-firewire cable/converter/adapter things do not work so please don't waste any resources trying to make that (frustrating and unproductive experience) happen.

In my opinion, you have two options:

1) Add a firewire port to your computer. We don't know which computer you have so we don't know if this is possible. For laptops, an available PCMCIA expansion slot... for desktops, an internal available PCI slot. The cards that fit those slots to provide the IEEE1394 port still seem to be available. The following are examples only - and not any sort of endorsement:
https://www.amazon.com/Belkin-FireWire-Notebook-PCMCIA-videostudio/dp/B000ESLEFS
https://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-port-1394a-FireWire-Adapter/dp/B00006B8EQ
In both cases, you need a firewirecable that is 8-pin on the computer side and 4-pin for the camcorder connection. Again, example, not endorsement of the product:
https://www.amazon.com/Cmple-IEEE-1394-FireWire-iLink-Cable/dp/B00403XML2
There are a couple of other IEEE1394 connectors which is why I wanted to be explicit.

2) Use an "analog/digital converter" (A/D converter). Since the video is standard definition, using one of these won't reduce the video quality much. I recently needed to digitize some VHS tape based video and purchased a converter from Elgato (Blackmagic Design and many others make similar external "capture cards" - be careful, you definitely get what you pay for). In your case, the camcorder's AV-out connects to the A/D converter and the A/D converter connects to the computer using USB.

Hope this helps.

Collapse -
we get fixed the camera

In reply to: The camcorder is not broken.

now i am purchasing firewire cable 4 pin to usb

then which software i can use to record them as original quality?

Collapse -
DO NOT PURCHASE

In reply to: we get fixed the camera

USB-TO-FIREWIRE cables. THEY WILL NOT WORK.

Collapse -
Video about that awful USB Firewire cable.

In reply to: DO NOT PURCHASE

Collapse -
Please tell us

which computer hardware manufacturer and Windows Operating System version is on your computer.

Collapse -
i have decent laptop windows 10

In reply to: Please tell us

i have decent laptop windows 10

laptop doesnt have firewire as expected

Collapse -
"Decent laptop"

In reply to: i have decent laptop windows 10

does not tell us manufacturer or model number. As indicated in my long post, if the laptop has an available PCMCIA expansion slot, a firewire card can be added. Since we don't know which manufacturer or model, we can't look it up to see if there is an available PCMCIA expansion slot.

If there is no PCMCIA expansion slot, then you need to use an external A/D converter.

Collapse -
no it doesnt have expansion slot

In reply to: "Decent laptop"

no it doesnt have expansion slot

so what is this A/D converter?

could you explain to me what do i need to do?

Collapse -
Repeated from my long post + more information

In reply to: no it doesnt have expansion slot

"2) Use an "analog/digital converter" (A/D converter). Since the video is standard definition, using one of these won't reduce the video quality much. I recently needed to digitize some VHS tape based video and purchased a converter from Elgato (Blackmagic Design and many others make similar external "capture cards" - be careful, you definitely get what you pay for). In your case, the camcorder's AV-out connects to the A/D converter and the A/D converter connects to the computer using USB. "

I downloaded the first link on the list of camcorder operating manuals listed using the link R. Profitt provided.

Page 17 in the operating manual shows what came with the camcorder in the box. You will need the AV connecting cable. This is item 5 in the list below the image. Item 5 also refers to page 50 in the manual. This same cable is used to connect the camcorder to a TV for playback.

Do you have this AV cable?

If yes, great. If no, you will need to get one.

The other item you need is the Analog/Digital converter. I use
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B0029U2YSA
and it worked well for what I needed. There are many other manufacturers. Some more expensive, some less expensive.

We don't know which country you are in so we don't know what sort of selection you have.
Collapse -
would this product work?

In reply to: Repeated from my long post + more information

Collapse -
It should.

In reply to: would this product work?

I have not used it.

Looks like it comes with a disc with some software, too. I have no idea what is on that disc or whether it is compatible with Windows 10.

Collapse -
Your next question will be

In reply to: It should.

"Which software to import and edit the video?"

When I have to use Windows for editing, I use Sony Vegas Pro.

Microsoft used to bundle MovieMaker with Windows. Microsoft stopped bundling MovieMaker with Windows so you are on your own to pick a title. There are lots and I have no recommendation.

Collapse -
And some other things you need to know...

In reply to: Your next question will be

Video imported like this is standard definition video.

60 minutes of standard definition video will use about 14 gig of the computer's hard drive. We don't know which computer you are using - other than "it is a decent laptop" and we don't know how much available hard drive space there is. Most laptops don't have a large internal hard drive, so I just wanted to be sure you understand that video is a computer resource pig.

If your laptop has only 4 gig of RAM, it is not designed to edit video.

There are ways to work through each of these... all it takes is money.

For what it is worth, what you are going through happens with miniDV and Digital8 tape based camcorders. This is not a Sony-specific issue. Canon, Panasonic and others are in the same boat.

Collapse -
Repeated from my long post

"USB-to-firewire cable/converter/adapter things do not work so please don't waste any resources trying to make that (frustrating and unproductive experience) happen."

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GRAMMYS 2019

Here's Everything to Know About the 2019 Grammys

Find out how to watch the Grammy Awards if you don't have cable and more.