HolidayBuyer's Guide

Computer Help forum

General discussion

DCOM errors

by Pickums1283 / July 17, 2008 8:33 AM PDT

This has probably been asked so many times before, but I am not getting the explantions when I read up on it. I have noticed 2 DCOM errors in my event log and I tried reading up on them on eventid.net, but the explanation is only available to members. There is:

DCOM event 10000:
Unable to start a DCOM Server: {?}. The error:
"The system cannot find the file specified. "
Happened while starting this command:
"C:\Program Files\Apple Software Update\SoftwareUpdate.exe" -Embedding

DCOM event 10016:
The application-specific permission settings do not grant Local Activation permission for the COM Server application with CLSID
{?}
to the user NUMBER2\Nikki SID (?). This security permission can be modified using the Component Services administrative tool.

What do these mean and are they harmful?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: DCOM errors
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: DCOM errors
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Sounds like quicktime
by Whitecougar / July 17, 2008 10:05 AM PDT
In reply to: DCOM errors

Sounds like the Quicktime/ itunes update program. Try reinstalling the Quicktime software from the apple website. Clear your event log and see if the error returns.

Collapse -
Personally, I Uninstall The 'Apple Update Software'...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / July 17, 2008 10:12 AM PDT
In reply to: DCOM errors

...which resides in the Control Panel/Add-Remove Programs section.. It serves no purpose on our computers, except to use bandwidth and resources, and it is installed when Quicktime or iTunes is placed on the computer. I remove it..

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Sorry
by Pickums1283 / July 28, 2008 11:13 AM PDT

it took me so long to respond back. I haven't seen the error message since I posted this, but I think I will still uninstall the Apple Update Software. However, I did notice a new Event that I am concerned about:

Event Type: Information
Event Source: MSDTC
Event Category: TM
Event ID: 2444

MS DTC started with the following settings:

Security Configuration (OFF = 0 and ON = 1):
Network Administration of Transactions = 0,
Network Clients = 0,
Inbound Distributed Transactions using Native MSDTC Protocol = 0,
Outbound Distributed Transactions using Native MSDTC Protocol = 0,
Transaction Internet Protocol (TIP) = 0,
XA Transactions = 0

What on earth, in simplest possible terms, does that mean and is it anything to be concerned about? This is the first time it has appeared in the viewer. Thanks!

Collapse -
Note The Event Type: Information
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / July 28, 2008 12:09 PM PDT
In reply to: Sorry

The event is simply providing you information about Microsoft "Distributed Transaction Coordinator" service being active and with all indicated settings in the off position.. On this XP PRO SP3 computer, that particular service is set to manual(default) and stopped and probably isn't necessary for most home users..

The ""Distributed Transaction Coordinator""...."Coordinates transactions that span multiple resource managers, such as databases, message queues, and file systems. If this service is stopped, these transactions will not occur. If this service is disabled, any services that explicitly depend on it will fail to start. "

Just some links:

What does Distributed Transaction Coordinator do?

http://www.theeldergeek.com/distributed_transaction_coordinator.htm

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Oh okay
by Pickums1283 / July 29, 2008 12:06 PM PDT

I think I understand it. I was just concerned because 7/26 was the first time it has ever appeared in the event log and I have been having a lot of trouble with several virus warnings, including one SPR/security-privacy risk warning, and I was just afraid that the message may have had something to do with it. Or if it may have been something hard drive related.

Is it set to manual on XP Home SP 2 as well?

Thanks!

Collapse -
Yes, 'Manual' Is Default For XP HOME SP2 Also
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / July 29, 2008 12:59 PM PDT
In reply to: Oh okay

And if you're concerned about malware, please follow the instructions below to give your computer a good check:

Please download Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware from the link below:

http://www.majorgeeks.com/Malwarebytes_Anti-Malware_d5756.html

Double Click mbam-setup.exe to install the application.

* Make sure a checkmark is placed next to Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, then click Finish.
* If an update is found, it will download and install the latest version.
* Once the program has loaded, select "Perform Quick Scan", then click Scan.
* The scan may take some time to finish,so please be patient.
* When the scan is complete, click OK, then Show Results to view the results.
* Make sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
* When disinfection is completed, a log will open in Notepad and you may be prompted to Restart.
* The log is automatically saved by MBAM and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.

Extra Note:
If MBAM encounters a file that is difficult to remove,you will be presented with 1 of 2 prompts,click OK to either and let MBAM proceed with the disinfection process,if asked to restart the computer,please do so immediately.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
It does help
by Pickums1283 / July 30, 2008 7:01 AM PDT

especially since I just downloaded MBAM last week after all of the virus warnings started coming and doing some research on this forum. All of the scans I have ran so far were clean, as well as all of other scanners I ran- Spybot, Superantispyware, Blacklight Rootkit Elimnator, Ewido Antispyware Online scan, Kaspersky online scan, etc. (I also have SpywareBlaster installed) My antivirus scan came up clean expect for the leftover quarantined viruses still haunting System Restore, which I hadn't gotten around to disabling at the time and resetting (but are all cleaned out now). SO it seems like my computer is clean (I hope).

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.