General discussion

DC#####.TMP Files

I did a ?Find? for temp files on my computer. I used ?*.tmp? for the search. So far I have seen 18259 temp files in the ?Recycled? folder. I have always read that you can delete all temp files. Can all of these be deleted? The files are ?DC#####.TMP?. Also, the amount of disk space being used by these files is increasing as I delete more of them. I hope someone can answer this one in a hurry. I am very worried about this one. Thanks for the help.

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: DC#####.TMP Files
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: DC#####.TMP Files
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Try to empty the "Recycle Bin"

to claim those spaces back.

Regards,

- Collapse -
DC#####.TMP Files

I would prefer to know what these files are before I empty the Recycle Bin. I deleted several thousand files but there are only the first 166 in the Recycle Bin. If they are just regular temp files I have no problem with deleting them. But are they?

- Collapse -
Read
- Collapse -
DC#####.TMP Files

I am sorry. I should have mentioned immediately that my OS is Windows 98 SE. The article you directed me to is for Windows NT. It seems if this would apply to my OS that I have deleted thousands of files that I should not have. Do you think that article would still apply to my situation? I am still not sure.

- Collapse -
Such is asked for in the forum tip.

It reads "Tip: If you are asking for help to troubleshoot a computer-related problem, please be sure to include all the necessary information (ie: operating system, model number, hardware, software, etc) that will help others identify your problem for a speedy resolution."

These are temp files and as it stands a curiousity as to what application is creating them.

On your part, the lack of depth of what is your machine, OS, installed apps and such makes any guess likely to be wrong. However I offered the most likely and still was wrong.

I vaguely remember some dc*.tmp files with a Kodak scanner/camera, but won't bother to find web links about it since I don't know much about your system.

I'd just delete them.

Bob

- Collapse -
DC#####.TMP Files

I appreciate your help and apologize for not knowing what information to provide when I ask a question. I will have to make a list in my MS Word to refer to when I need help. I have thought for a long time I should do that.

I am tempted to delete the whole Recycle folder but I am afraid that might create more problems. Deleting the files from that folder just makes it larger. I do not know where to go from here. I will make out that information list and then come back. Thanks again.

- Collapse -
Here's an article about the Recycle Bin in 95/98.

It's worth a read and applies to Windows ME too. I've found it useful when "odd things" happen to the recycle bin and I want to steam clean it (in a virtual way.)

http://www.bcaafc.com/tech/software/9598tips2.html

This is usually enough for people to recover from bin anomlies.

bob

- Collapse -
DC#####.TMP Files

Bob,

Thank you so much for that article. I read about the recycle bin and a lot of other things. I found many helpful articles included in the one URL.

And after all my worry and our efforts, the problem resolved itself. The "Recycled" folder is hidden once again and probably empty. The best part of the whole thing is I received a good education in the recycle bin and some other things.

Thank you so much for your time. I really appreciate it.

CNET Forums

Forum Info