Resolved Question

DC power on airplanes

American Airlines provdes 15 Volt DC power using a cigarette lighter socket. Safe to use on an Acer Aspire 1410 notebook? If so, what adapter do I need?

Discussion is locked
DaveHarper has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Follow
Reply to: DC power on airplanes
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: DC power on airplanes
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Clarification Request
Voltage requirements.

I'm quite aware that nothing is absolutely safe. I'm concerned that the voltage provided by AA is 15 volts while my notebook requires 19 volts. Does the adapter mentioned merely adapt the plug or convert the voltage as well? Or does the notebook care if there is a 4 volt difference?

- Collapse -
That's what the adapter does.

Change it from the airplane standard to your laptop's needs.

Since there is no link to the product, no one but you can check if it's the right one.
Bob

- Collapse -
It needs what it needs.

With a 4 Volt difference it may not charge at all. it won't damage the equipment but just may not be enough to power it. if you leave the transformer in for a min in might be able to power your Netbook.
There is no standard cigarette to Normal DC current but i'm sure you could wire it yourself.

Best Answer

- Collapse -
You would need an airplane power adapter for your laptop.

Is it safe? Nothing is absolutely safe. Some want more than this.
Bob

CNET Forums