PC Hardware forum

General discussion

Dazzle DVC 150 Digital Video Creator

by ksoiehawo / February 27, 2005 3:10 AM PST

I was looking at the user opinions on the CNET website for the Dazzle DVC 150 Digital Video Creator, and the reviews are horrible. The thing is, a lot of them said the hardware was fine, but the software is horrible. I don't really get what they mean by software (it its the editing software or something else), but if I wasn't going to use the Pinnacle Software, would it be fine for me? I am planning to use Ulead Videostudio Software.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Dazzle DVC 150 Digital Video Creator
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Dazzle DVC 150 Digital Video Creator
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Here's the deal.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 27, 2005 3:17 AM PST

The USB connection required that the owner's PC USB support be "there". You can't imagine the number of posts about USB problems.

As such, I toss about 1/2 the bad reviews out just because many can't resolve USB issues. On top of that there is no support from Dazzle to help you fix your PC's USB issue.

I've used the Dazzle products and like them. But then I never have an USB issue. The software is, of course dated now. Plus those on DOS based OSes will scream about 4 GB file limits and what else will occur on the DOS based OSes.

I know this is not a full answer, but do consider that the user reviews do have issues.

If you want a little better solution, try some PCI TV capture card.

Bob

Collapse -
I was thinking of going with PCI
by ksoiehawo / February 27, 2005 8:10 AM PST
In reply to: Here's the deal.

I was thinking of going with a Pinnacle Systems Studio AV/DV Version 9 Video Editing Kit,

http://www.bestbuy.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?logon=&langid=EN&dept=0&sku_id=0926INGFS10040467&catid=20401&newdeptid=20374
http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?logon=&langid=EN&dept=18&sku_id=0665000FS10040467&catid=10526&newdeptid=18

because the salesperson told me the Dazzle and this are pretty much the same except one is internal and one is on USB.

or... I was thinking about getting a TV Tuner, because the TV Tuner would kinda be an added bonus that I might use in the future - although the salesperson told me that the quality may not be as good. I was thinking of getting either a Hauppauge USB 2.0, or a Hauppauge PVR-250 TV Tuner.

What would be better?

One last thing, for the Pinnacle card, there is 256 MB Video Memory listed, is this a typo? because i've never seen video memory on a card of that category.

Collapse -
Is ATI as good as any of the above?
by ksoiehawo / February 27, 2005 8:15 AM PST
Collapse -
I've used the ATI AIW 9700 Pro card
by TONI H / February 27, 2005 8:46 AM PST

and wasn't as impressed with it as I thought I would be. It was easy to install, and use, but it was very proprietary about being the king of the hill in the system and I got more errors with that card installed (and its software) if I tried to go with using any other programs than anything else I've tried.

The card is still here, but in my spare system instead.

TONI

Collapse -
The AV/DV is the one I use now
by TONI H / February 27, 2005 8:44 AM PST

and again, I didn't like the Pinnacle software that came with it, but the card itself is awesome....great quality. The Dazzle is still sitting on my desktop reading to plug in if I need it. The one thing I liked about the Dazzle was when I was copying my VCR movies that had the macrovision encryption, it ripped it right out all by itself instead of my having to use the device I bought separately. None of the internal cards ever could.

TONI

Collapse -
For analog capture...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 27, 2005 8:49 AM PST

I have used both ATI and Hauppauge TV cards. Such run about 49 bucks and you get your analog capture without any fuss.

If you are going to go FIREWIRE, then the price plummets to under 20 bucks for Firewire card, cable and some software.

Bob

Collapse -
where can i get for 49 bucks?
by ksoiehawo / February 27, 2005 9:00 AM PST
In reply to: For analog capture...

Most cards I see are 100dollars and up. And as for digital/analog, I need both of them... THe thing I liked about the Pinnacle card was that it had both inputs, but then again - I already have a couple of firewire cards.

Collapse -
I have it, I've used it, and I loved it
by TONI H / February 27, 2005 5:14 AM PST

I absolutely HATED the Pinnacle Studio software it came with though and it worked perfectly for me with Power VCR-DVD. Too bad you can't just buy the device without the software Pinnacle tosses at you, but the drivers for the device are on the same installation cd. If you buy it, just leave Pinnacle installed and ignore the program completely.....and set the default program to be the one you will be using instead.

TONI

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?