Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

David Chan- XP Pro install.

by Ray Harinec / October 15, 2004 11:22 PM PDT

Some time ago the issue of not having both a "hidden" administrative account and a user account that was used for day to day arose.

I had installed Pro without the separate user account. It was a while ago but I do not remember ever being given the ability to set up a user account with 100% adminstrator privileges, during the installation. I never bothered to correct it. Am now taking that system out of service. Giving it to a friend [LOL].

About to set up a new one. Have an OEM CD with SP2 already on it.

What I want is to have the "hidden" [only accessed via Safe Mode] adminstrator account with NO password.

Then I want my user account to have full administrator privileges, NO PASSWORD and NO LOG IN SCREEN. I simply want to boot up into my desktop with no need for any intervening clicks.

I would like to accomplish this during the install and not foul up and have to go back and revise things. What dialog boxes or options should I be looking for??

I have just re-read the instructions from your DC-IT site, but not sure about not using passwords and NOT getting a log in box. Also it says nothing about setting the level of privileges for the user. Also do I have to give it a name???

How's this for step by step? LOL

I'm in no hurry, so I can wait for a good while to hear from you. If you would prefer email, just go to my profile and send from there.

TIA

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: David Chan- XP Pro install.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: David Chan- XP Pro install.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Not David, but I'll give it a shot.
by Brandon Eng / October 16, 2004 5:37 AM PDT

Having just reinstalled Pro, this is what I did:

Used installation disk to boot with. Entered reg. key when prompted. At the end of the installation, you have the option to enter something like 6 profile names.

I entered only 1 name for a profile, didn't enter any passwords. Automatically have full admin privileges.

I'm now able to boot-up with no logon prompts, being I only have 1 profile. That said, I vaguely recall David or someone saying you should have a backup profile in case your primary profile gets hosed. I may or may not get around to it, lol. I use PowerTools for WindowsXP (free), to get rid of the shortcut arrow on icons, and you can get PowerTools to automatically logon to a specific profile also. There's 4 profiles in my daughter's system, and I have it set to autologon to her profile. Since there's only 1 profile on my system, there's no menu of profiles, so I logon right into my profile.

The short answer is, install OS, enter ONE profile name, don't use passwords. HTH.

Collapse -
It is possible that you are correct., but:
by Ray Harinec / October 16, 2004 9:30 AM PDT

When this subject occupied many posts some time ago. It was said to be important to have the first administrator account stay named administrator and then create a user account to be the one to use day to day.

To see if you have done it properly, apparently one boots up in safe mode and you will get to the basic window screen with the clouds and trees. Not sure if there is the dialog box or ???. That should be the administrator account, if it has your user name it is incorrect. Apparently, if correct, that account will NOT have any of the applications or such. They are in your user account. This account is pristine. The idea being that if the user account gets corrupted you go up in safe mode and you can get into the repair processes through this account.

I could easily be wrong but it seems that is exactly what I had on the system that I am just taking down and it was incorrect. David gave many of us the means to correct it, but I never bothered because I do not download crap of the kind that corrupts files. LOL

I think that the first one offered for password if the administrator account and the next one the user account to use all of the time.The reason that I am trying to have David hold my hand that when doing such an install and I get a dialog box that confuses me, I feel totally helpless [really am. LOL].

I am trying to get an idea exactly what I expect to see on the screen when I get to that point.

Note that none of the books on XP, nor MS's sites tells one that it is important to do this. David brought it up here and gave a link to his site with instructions. I went there and read it in its entirety and lo and behold it wasn't mentioned there. I noted that to David and he immediately edited the site to add a paragraph about the necessity but didn't get into detail [screen shots et al] how and not ending up with a log in box.

I think that David is a west coaster. Not trying to get an east west battle going. LOL

Collapse -
Just tested my system
by Brandon Eng / October 16, 2004 9:56 AM PDT

and logged into Safe-Mode. For the first time, I got a menu of profiles to pick from: Administrator, and the 1 profile I created for myself. I double checked just to be sure, as I've never booted into Safe-Mode on this particular clean install. Aside from that, on normal bootup, I go straight into my user profile.

Of course, if David says otherwise, I'd defer to him. But I did this only last week, and I clearly recall installing OS, added a single profile, no passwords anywhere, when I boot, boom, I'm in my profile.

Where's the link to David's site, btw? I've never seen it.

Collapse -
It appears that you did it correctly.
by Ray Harinec / October 16, 2004 10:17 AM PDT
In reply to: Just tested my system

I should have know that, but LOL

Thus the question is what did you have to do to make your User account have full administrator privileges?

Collapse -
Re: It appears that you did it correctly.
by Brandon Eng / October 16, 2004 11:03 AM PDT
Thus the question is what did you have to do to make your User account have full administrator privileges?

Nothing that I recall. I think by default, the first account will have full admin privileges. I imagine XP is designed that way (am I actually giving MS some credit?). Privleges can be changed afterwards, for a kid or in the workplace I would think. You'd have to know enough to get into Safe-Mode to change the privileges back.

Any subsequent profile asks what type of privileges you want assigned. I have no idea what the privileges would be if assigned multiple profiles on a clean install. I'd think full admin, but that's just a WAG.
Collapse -
Re: It appears that you did it correctly.
by David Chan / October 17, 2004 1:25 AM PDT

Again Brandon is correct.

By default all Users created during the setup are made Computer Administrator.
You can verify this by opening User Accounts in Control Panel.

Then if you wish you can change the account type to Limited account. This is a good practice if you have small children using the PC.

Even if you are the only one using the PC you can set up a Limited user account to go online.
This way if you picked up a hacker/trojan it will not be able to access your other Computer Administrator files.

Now if you create a new User using the User Accounts in Control Panel you have to decide if you want to make it a Limited User or Computer Administraotr.

BTW, Brandon... my site is not updated due to work pressure.. Sad
I'll get around to doing it someday...

Collapse -
Re: It is possible that you are correct., but:
by Mark5019 / October 16, 2004 12:52 PM PDT

ray i did same as brandon i just boot directly to desktop in under 13 seconds up and running

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Thanx, Mark.
by Ray Harinec / October 16, 2004 11:42 PM PDT
Collapse -
Re: It is possible that you are correct., but:
by Cursorcowboy / October 16, 2004 10:58 PM PDT
When this subject occupied many posts some time ago. It was said to be important to have the first administrator account stay named administrator and then create a user account to be the one to use day to day.

During Setup, the Administrator account is created automatically as a member of the Administrators group on the workstation or member server and when the screen "Who will use this computer?" was displayed and a name entered, they retain full administrative privileges without password by default. The Administrator account can never be deleted, disabled, or removed from the Administrators local group, ensuring that you never lock yourself out of the computer by deleting or disabling all the administrative accounts. We know this as well as everyone else dealing with XP and perhaps a good idea would be to change the account name.

a. At the command prompt type secpol.msc to open Local Security Settings or double-click the Local Security Policy shortcut in the Control Panel's Administrative Tools folder.

b. Open Local Polices\Security Options and then in the details pane, double-click Accounts: Rename Administrator Account, and type a new name.

Note: Because HE users cannot use this snap-in, change the user name by launching the Windows 2000-style User Accounts. At the command prompt, type control userpasswords2, and then press Enter. Select Administrator, click Properties and change only the user name, not the full name.

c. It will happen to the best of us -- someday when logging on, you draw a blank. Windows offers two tools for this dilemma:

? Password hint - available by click the question mark icon which appears after clicking a name on the Welcome screen. However this is not available if the Welcome screen is not used.

? "Password Reset Disk" - allows anyone without a password to use it to change a user password. Users probably should have and keep one in a secure location. However, this disk is not useful if a computer is joined to a domain. Nor will it or the hints be very useful if one is not created first.
Collapse -
Thanx, Texas Bill
by Ray Harinec / October 16, 2004 11:47 PM PDT

How frequently do you defrag? LOL

Collapse -
Just a thought.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 16, 2004 10:02 AM PDT
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Thanx.
by Ray Harinec / October 16, 2004 10:19 AM PDT
In reply to: Just a thought.
Collapse -
Ray, Brandon is correct...
by David Chan / October 16, 2004 9:56 PM PDT

My apologies for not replying earlier...work pressure kepps me from frequenting this forum as much as I like Sad

Here are the methods to retain a hidden administrator account for XP Pro & XP Home and create other User/s profiles:

XP Pro:
During setup it will prompt you to create a password for the ADMINISTRATOR account.
I would recommend doing this as you may one day need to access this account via the Recovery Console to fix XP.
The more pertinent reason is when I have to set up networking for several PCs with XP Pro/Home/W98/ME/W2K I use the administrator + password to gain access to the XP Pro PC from the other PCs on the network. This has always work fine for me.

During the final stage of setup as Brandon said you will be presented with a screen to setup 5 user accounts.
All users setup during this stage are assigned Computer Administrators priviliges automatically.
If you only create one user with no password XP will automatically boot straight into that user account.
You can go to User Accounts in Control Panel and change the user/s to Limited Accounts if you want to.
But make sure you have the main Administrator setup as you may have to boot into it to reset the account types if you've mad them all Limited Users.

To access the Administrator account in XP Pro you can do the following:
1. At the Welcome screen quickly press CTRL+ALT+Delete (Twice). This will cause a logon screen to pop up. Then you enter Administrator as the User and any password if needed. XP will now boot into a new Desktop for the Administrator account.

2. Alternatively when you are already in your user account you can get into the Administrator account by logging off your user account and again press Ctrl+Alt+Delete twice and logon as Administrator.

3. Install TweakUI and in the Logon section you can select the option "Show 'Administrator' on Welcome screen.

XP Home:

It does not prompt you to set up the Administrator account but it also exists as a Hidden account.
You will also be prompted to create up to five user accounts during setup.
All users will be Computer Administrators but you can use the User Accounts to change the status to Limited Users if you want to.

To access the Hidden Administrator account in XP Home you press the F8 key during startup and boot into Safe Mode and you will see the Administrator account on the welcome screen together with your other user/s account/s.

Normally there is no password to get into the Administrator account for XP Home as it was automatically setup during setup!
But for security reasons you may want to create a password for it. You can do this after you've logon to the Administrator account.
But make sure you remember the password or else...

Hope the above explains things clearly enough?

BTW, I am in Toronto not West Coast! Wink
Since last November I started a new job providing onsite Tech Support for both Homes & Small Businesses and it has been great but extremely hectic!
On a daily basis I usually format & reinstall XP Pro/HE two or three times!

That is why I missed coming to this forum as often as I'd like to when I was on my other office job! Sad

But I pop in in the late evenings and read the postings and see that many regular experts as Bob are offering their help to all and the XP Forum is still one of the best forums where everyone respects each other. Happy

Cheers.

Collapse -
Thanx David
by Ray Harinec / October 16, 2004 11:54 PM PDT

"""" Ray, Brandon is correct...

My apologies for not replying earlier...work pressure keeps me from frequenting this forum as much as I like

Here are the methods to retain a hidden administrator account for XP Pro & XP Home and create other User/s profiles:

XP Pro:
During setup it will prompt you to create a password for the ADMINISTRATOR account.
I would recommend doing this as you may one day need to access this account via the Recovery Console to fix XP.
The more pertinent reason is when I have to set up networking for several PCs with XP Pro/Home/W98/ME/W2K I use the administrator + password to gain access to the XP Pro PC from the other PCs on the network. This has always work fine for me.

During the final stage of setup as Brandon said you will be presented with a screen to setup 5 user accounts.
All users setup during this stage are assigned Computer Administrators priviliges automatically.
If you only create one user with no password XP will automatically boot straight into that user account.""""

This gives me precisely the additional info that I was looking for.

Brandon and the others are all part of the good guys from the old forums. You fit in so well here. I'll email Brandon to remind hom that he was correct, we are exchanging emails about a new gaming computer that he has built.

Collapse -
EMAIL ME!? Hmmph! (Hiya, David!)
by Brandon Eng / October 17, 2004 12:57 AM PDT
In reply to: Thanx David

Nothing less than a public display of appreciation will do! j/k of course. I don't blame you for seeking confirmation. You DO realize you've received "outsourced" tech support, don't you? I was only trying to reciprocate a bit, given you've given me so much input as of late. But NOOOooo, you have to ask a CANADIAN, for help ;-). (my wife's Canadian, btw.)

Note to David: Congrats on your new job. No disrespect to Bob or any of the other great members here, but you're abscence is sorely missed. NOW CAN SOMONE GIVE ME A LINK TO DAVID'S WEBSITE!?

Collapse -
BRANDON ENG,. I apologize for even having
by Ray Harinec / October 17, 2004 1:18 AM PDT
Collapse -
NT:You're forgiven. For now....... ;-)
by Brandon Eng / October 17, 2004 2:47 AM PDT

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?