Windows Legacy OS forum

Question

Date/Time won't update

XP with SP3 on Inspiron laptop. Windows clock won't update. Even when manually reset, time is okay for a while, then stops. Linked to NIST for accuracy. Doesn't matter if plugged in. Any ideas? Thanks.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Date/Time won't update
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Date/Time won't update
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
I've seen this.

In reply to: Date/Time won't update

The two cases for software was that "crack" for XP and another was malware. The crack stopped time so the activation would not expire. Everyday users are very confused about that one. The other was malware which I suggest Grif's advice at 7726-6132_102-5098912.html?tag=posts;msg5099421

You write about nist sync. Try it without that too.
Bob

Collapse -
Date/Time

In reply to: I've seen this.

Guess I'm one of those everyday users. Please tell me about the "crack" you mention. Have reset the modem (cable) and the router to no avail. Have run Spybot, AdAware and AVG Free which haven't shown anything. Thanks for the input.

Collapse -
Some know, some don't.

In reply to: Date/Time

The machine, if from HP or such doesn't have such. I run into this crack/pirate issue when a not so "by the book" shop reinstalls XP and uses some "shop" or "blue copy."

Spybot's TEATIMER can cause issues today. I'd uninstall that.
Bob

Collapse -
Date/Time

In reply to: Some know, some don't.

Has been running fine for a couple of years. Then suddenly stopped updating. Hate to do a clean install as have thousands of emails stored on Outlook.

Collapse -
"Has been running fine for a couple of years."

Good luck to you! If those updates from Microsoft and all others didn't happen then I wouldn't be offering such advice.

Good luck finding this one but if you write "Has been running fine for a couple of years." to any change then you'll have to tell the forum what changed since it worked.
Bob

Collapse -
Re: thousands of emails stored

That's the worst excuse I've ever heard for not doing a clean install. Let's do the math:
- estimated time to backup Outlook: 4 minutes (you'll know the exact time from your regular backup, I assume, and this needn't be EXTRA time if you do the reinstall after your regular weekly backup)
- estimated time to reinstall Windows and make everything work as it did: 2 evenings @4 hours = 8 hours.
- estimated time to restore your mails from the backup: 4 minutes.

That's 4 minutes extra work on 8 hours of work. That's less than 1%.

Kees

Collapse -
Answer
What ISP and what type modem for internet connection?

Fix could be as simple as resetting your box, cable or DSL, to default settings.

Your box could be blocking NNTP port through the hardware firewall in the box.

mchainmchain

Collapse -
Date/Time

In reply to: What ISP and what type modem for internet connection?

Perhaps, but with the same configuration, it has worked fine until recently. Thanks for the suggestion.

Collapse -
Answer
time

Collapse -
Time

In reply to: time

NIST is National Institute for Science and Technology. All my other computers update to this time without a problem.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

DEALS, DEALS, DEALS!

Best Black Friday Deals

CNET editors are busy culling the list and highlighting what we think are the best deals out there this holiday season.