Windows 7 forum

Question

date keeps randomly changing in windows 7

by NedKelly81 / August 31, 2011 7:43 PM PDT

HI i was wondering if anyone could give me some USEFUL information.

I have a asus N61 about 7months old. running windows 7.

For the last few months the Date keeps randomly changing, usually the actual time is correct, but the date keeps changing at random intervals, sometimes it wont happen for a few weeks, then it might happen every couple days. then nothing again for a week or 2. and usually it goes forwards about 4 or 5 days. sometimes back a few days.

what could this be?

Please don't post anything about CMOS, As this is a new laptop, so it shouldn't be the cmos battery, ALSO it doesn't happen every time i turn the laptop off, so i doubt a old cmos battery would work sometimes and not others.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: date keeps randomly changing in windows 7
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: date keeps randomly changing in windows 7
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Just to start this off.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / August 31, 2011 10:45 PM PDT

No real clues from me but just to start this off, I am having similar but not so drastic problems with my Win 7 Desktop. Over the course of a week my time gains around 15 seconds. I have to keep going into Date and Time Properties to update with the selected Time server.

I am now testing different time servers to see if that is the problem, but it will take time.

I'm not saying this is your problem, but it's just for information.

I see this laptop is only 7 months old. That makes it still under warranty and if this began soon after it was taken out of the box then you may have some recourse with the machine providers.

But let's see what others say.

Mark

Collapse -
With Windows 7 ...
by Kees_B Forum moderator / August 31, 2011 10:56 PM PDT

(and, I think with all versions of Windows) you can set the interval for the automatic time synchronisation. Default is once a week. So if the sync goes well, the difference will disappear automatically.

I found time.windows.com to time-out when I tried it manually. The first one of nist I tried worked. So I've set that as the server to use with a 2 week interval.

Kees

\

Collapse -
Yep, same here
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / August 31, 2011 11:01 PM PDT
In reply to: With Windows 7 ...

The same one also time-out.

I can't see where to change the schedule in Date/Time properties, so I wonder if it is in Scheduled Tasks.

BTW, this poster has also posted in Computer Help here;
http://forums.cnet.com/7723-6122_102-540047.html

So I will lock this one to avoid duplication.

Mark

Collapse -
Re: schedule
by Kees_B Forum moderator / August 31, 2011 11:05 PM PDT
In reply to: Yep, same here
Collapse -
Thank you
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / September 1, 2011 5:05 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: schedule

Done that now, and will see if it solves the problem.

Mark

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Turn up the volume with our Apple Byte sweeps!

Two lucky winners will take home the coveted smart speaker that lets Siri help you around your connected house. This sweepstake ends Feb. 25, 2018.